Sudden refusal to use next box

tmarsh83

Songster
6 Years
Oct 16, 2015
NEIN
This week, along with production dropping off the face of the earth, a couple birds that have been using the nest boxes for the last four months decided to start laying on the floor of the coop, under the roost bars.

They are raised nest boxes, about 20" off the ground, the roost bars are 40". They are also rollout nest boxes.

The frustrating part to me is that they used the boxes all summer, now all the sudden they are refusing. Four of them yesterday, thanks to monkey see money do.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately that happens occasionally. Someone decides they want to lay elsewhere and others follow. Most times I block off the new place so they can't use it, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. You can't force them to use the nestboxes, they have to want to.

Are they laying those eggs while on the roost or coming down to do on the ground?

My game hens will move nest site if I take all the eggs out of the nest while the American Dominiques do not respond in that manner.

Are they laying those eggs while on the roost or coming down to do on the ground?

My game hens will move nest site if I take all the eggs out of the nest while the American Dominiques do not respond in that manner.

They're laying them on the ground.

Do you think there could be an infestation of some kind in the nest boxes?

No. they're rollout boxes with indoor outdoor carpet in them. They're clean. And several birds still using them.

Wonder if there was a shift in pecking order for some reason?
No changes in population or housing or anything?.....you know how sensitive to changes they can be.

Not sure what to suggest, other than the blocking off of the new laying place(s) as OHLD suggested.

Wonder if there was a shift in pecking order for some reason?
No changes in population or housing or anything?.....you know how sensitive to changes they can be.

Not sure what to suggest, other than the blocking off of the new laying place(s) as OHLD suggested.

The only change is they've been allowed to range less the last two weeks because our septic system is being replaced, and with the coming and going of the contractor, I just wanted to keep them hemmed up.

The more troubling thing that coincides with the refusal to use the nest boxes is a drop-off in production from this springs chicks. I have three birds flirting with molting that have been hit and miss for a few weeks now, but I still have 10 pullets from this spring, for the last week or ten days I'm getting three or four eggs, when a month ago I was getting eight to ten.

No changes in feed aside from the garden winding down so the byproduct from that not being available.

It's been a frustrating week or so...

Quote: Could just be the stress of confinement and yard being torn up<shrugs>

I hear ya...my 10 older birds are slowing going to molt, more of the 10 pullets are slowly starting to lay.....
....egg customers are on 'rationing' list, taking turns as each carton gets filled.
Taking more and more eggs to make weight of carton as hens stop and pullets start with those tiny eggs.

I did annual bedding change out the other day, they were freaked out....didn't get many eggs at all the day after....SMH.

Could just be the stress of confinement and yard being torn up<shrugs>

I hear ya...my 10 older birds are slowing going to molt, more of the 10 pullets are slowly starting to lay.....
....egg customers are on 'rationing' list, taking turns as each carton gets filled.
Taking more and more eggs to make weight of carton as hens stop and pullets start with those tiny eggs.

I did annual bedding change out the other day, they were freaked out....didn't get many eggs at all the day after....SMH.
I've got clean-out on my list to get done before the end of the month. I'm trying to hold off until the leaves come down (at least more of them) so can pile it all up in the garden for the spring.

Back
Top Bottom