sudden stop of ALL hens laying eggs

well, we got ONE small egg yesterday. Let's hope it's a sign of more to come, because I'm down to my last dozen in the refrig, and we've had none to sell to the neighbors and none to take to the soup kitchen.

I am having the same problem. 8 hens, 1 rooster - no eggs. This is my first time taking care of chickens, am I doing something wrong? They get layer pellets and fresh water, they free range inside a large fenced area, they are all at least 18 months old. We were getting 2-3 eggs a day but then 1-2 and now 0. HELP!!

Quote:
2/3 eggs from 8 hens is bad enough. Did you buy into old hens?

If you buy top egglaing breeds (babies or yongsters) you should get 8 or 7 eggs everyday the first year.

No excuses.

I know you say someone is usually home, but could something have happened to frighten the birds and give them all stress like a dog getting into the yard or something, or maybe you got rid of a roo?

I've had the same thing happen too, to my 16 month old EE. (All the other hens are too young yet) I thought maybe it was because I added a rooster to the flock, but then my mum pointed out that the eggs stopped prior to his arrival. I have 11 eggs saved and I need a 12th for the Sterling Fair today for "best matched" category. But I'm more concerned with their health. I 've heard they stop laying in winter, but sheesh, it's only Sept 10!
As for the snake comment, although we only have garter snakes, I figured the flock would consider it food. There are chipmunk holes into the run, but they've always been there.
Do you think a sudden change in weather would put her off her game? It's never seemed to matter before.
She's not broody, and not molting. She also makes quite a noise when the roo is getting frisky, but then pecks him on the head when he gets frisky with the 5 month old hen. It's like they've been married for decades.
smile.png

Well, I had egg production drop drastically (getting 2 eggs a day from 8 hens)... and I found out a raccoon was coming in and eating eating them. NO sign of shells, etc. The only way I found out was to see the raccoon climbing up the run and jumping into the coop.

Back
Top Bottom