Sudden weakness in hen, strange poops

Either one of those would be great! Break open a capsule and give her half (250mg) per day. Except the first day, give her a double dose, one this morning and one tonight. Then 250mg per day for ten days total. I think you'll see dramatic improvement by tomorrow.

Here's a tip. When I need to divide the contents of a capsule as you'll be doing, I mix 250mg into a pea size amount of coconut oil, form it into a ball and chill until solid. That way you have the entire amount rolled into a "pill" and just slip it into her beak. She will swallow it nicely.

Either one of those would be great! Break open a capsule and give her half (250mg) per day. Except the first day, give her a double dose, one this morning and one tonight. Then 250mg per day for ten days total. I think you'll see dramatic improvement by tomorrow.

Here's a tip. When I need to divide the contents of a capsule as you'll be doing, I mix 250mg into a pea size amount of coconut oil, form it into a ball and chill until solid. That way you have the entire amount rolled into a "pill" and just slip it into her beak. She will swallow it nicely.
Thanks for the tips and the optimism! I gave her the first 500 mg dose for this morning. I also checked her crop and it is feeling 'doughy', like there is no water only feed from yesterday. This is despite the fact that I withheld feed all night. Why do you think this is? Should I syringe her some water (she does not appear interested in that either right now). More photos of poops from overnight and her looking miserable are attached.

Attachments

• 20201226_110431.jpg
    20201226_110431.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201226_111401.jpg
    20201226_111401.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 4
How about the Corid? If she has any parasites in her intestines, it can slow down the crop. I would focus on Corid and the antibiotic for now. Be sure you divide the rest of the dosages into 250mg as that's the appropriate dose for a chicken after the initial mega-dose to launch it.

How about the Corid? If she has any parasites in her intestines, it can slow down the crop. I would focus on Corid and the antibiotic for now. Be sure you divide the rest of the dosages into 250mg as that's the appropriate dose for a chicken after the initial mega-dose to launch it.
I just came home from TSC. They didn't have any of the 9.6% dissolved solution (at least, not in the small quantities), but they did have 20% soluble powder. So I dissolved into her 1-quart chick waterer 0.375 teaspoons, or 1/4 + 1/8. I was following this post for dosing instructions https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing.818879/
I decided to do the 0.024% rate since she is already in serious condition. I also followed your advice of giving a separate dose, assuming that when you said "0.1 ml of undiluted Corid", you were referring to the 9.6% solution. So I weighed out 0.96 grams of the Corid 20% powder, dissolved it in 10 ml of water and gave her 0.45 ml (since she weighs 4.5 lbs). Did I do everything right?

Attachments

• 20201226_134258.jpg
    20201226_134258.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 2
@azygous, she is feeling much better, thank you so much for your help! You were right, she started being more active the following day after starting treatment. Today is the last day of the Corid drench. I will continue the antibiotic for another 5 days.

I wanted to ask, should I treat the rest of the flock with Corid because they have been exposed? Perhaps with the preventative 0.006% drench?

Yes, Corid is so easy and benign, many folks do it preventatively from time to time. Coccidia are present in all soil everywhere. Most chickens carry some coccidia in their intestines all the time, usually not being a problem for them unless something else comes along and taxes the immune system. Then the coccidia could start committing mischief.

Corid isn't like worming meds that the worms can become tolerant of over time. Corid is merely a thiamine blocker to deprive coccidia of nourishment they need. You can use it periodically and not worry about consequences.

Yes, Corid is so easy and benign, many folks do it preventatively from time to time. Coccidia are present in all soil everywhere. Most chickens carry some coccidia in their intestines all the time, usually not being a problem for them unless something else comes along and taxes the immune system. Then the coccidia could start committing mischief.

Corid isn't like worming meds that the worms can become tolerant of over time. Corid is merely a thiamine blocker to deprive coccidia of nourishment they need. You can use it periodically and not worry about consequences.
Ok, good to know, thanks! I will do the preventative amount then in the rest of the flocks' water. And I really appreciate all of your help, thank you again. I think that she would have died without treatment.

Back
Top Bottom