Suddenly Dead Chicken?

Duckstruck

Songster
5 Years
Mar 12, 2016
East Tennessee
Hello.
Moments ago I came into my barn and found a dead easter egger. She was lying on her side under my rabbit hutch when I found her, no gore or clear indication of death. It just looks like she crawled under there and passed away. She's fairly young; I got her last March or so. She was laying eggs, walking around, and acting normal just yesterday.
I felt around at her neck. I don't know what a broken neck feels like, but it seems all intact. Her comb was cold and bluish. Her mouth was closed.
Her body isn't limp, it's stuck in the position she died in. It must've happened before 7 o'clock. She lives in a protective run with a cover.
I've heard some chicken keepers get autopsies on their dead birds to see what caused their death. Should I consider this, is it expensive?
Thanks for reading.

I really don’t have any idea, but I do want to tell you that I’m so very sorry for your loss:hugs:hugs:hit
I had the EXACT same thing happen with my beloved silkie, Stella.
Anyways, I wish you the best of luck!:hugs

I really don’t have any idea, but I do want to tell you that I’m so very sorry for your loss:hugs:hugs:hit
I had the EXACT same thing happen with my beloved silkie, Stella.
Anyways, I wish you the best of luck!:hugs
Thank you. I'm just very confused about all this. I've had a duck pass away before, but there were clear indications that she wasn't doing well. How old was Stella?

Back
Top Bottom