Suddenly Lame - 12wk old pullet

Thank you! I will contact a few vets to see if anyone can test/see her. She's doing a little better today with moving. I am hoping that means a vitamin deficiency as we gave her those yesterday. The shank of her legs look fine, and her feet do too, it's mostly the joint that looks swollen compared to the other pullets we have her age. She's our only silver laced wyandotte though so maybe built different?

Attachments

• 20240515_121005.jpg
    20240515_121005.jpg
    1,014.5 KB · Views: 2
It won't let me post a video, we have her separated off from the others so she doesn't get bullied/trampled. She's moving around more freely, still wobbly, but she's at least scratching for food and showing signs of perking up.

Attachments

• 20240515_121057.jpg
    20240515_121057.jpg
    838.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240515_121036.jpg
    20240515_121036.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
In order to post a video on BYC, you first have to post on YouTube or other video site, then share the video here. Hopefully it's "only" a vitamin deficiency. If so it will take some time before the neurological symptoms reverse, but the fact she is improving is an excellent sign.

Do you have older chickens, or chickens you got from somewhere other than Tractor Supply? The reason I ask is because mycoplasma and other contagious chicken diseases are most commonly introduced when a sick or carrier bird (may not show symptoms of the disease) is brought into a formerly disease-free flock, and the entire flock is then infected. Free-ranging brings a slight risk since wild birds can carry mycoplasma, but is not of nearly as great concern. If all your chickens came from Tractor Supply, I would be very surprised if you are dealing with MS, since Tractor Supply overall has excellent biosecurity.

We do have older ones and they didn't come from Tractor Supply. Our first batch of 8 we got last July at the 4h fair. They have been doing great. This was our 2nd batch we got in February, we got 2 silver wyandottes, and 2 barred rocks from TSC at the same time we got 2 Eggers and 2 marans from Family Farm and Home. They were just introduced to the 1st flock over the last month. We've had them in an extra large crate inside the coop and letting them out for periods of time throughout the day. This last week they've been integrated fully into the coop. Maybe she was being bullied away from the food and we didnt notice? There is still some bickering when we give snacks but no attacking that we've witnessed. The coop is 12x10 so plenty of room too. Or maybe our first batch from the fair has a carrier that's not showing symptoms? But I'm really just hoping this settles as it's not getting worse. We have our first coop which is 4x6 that we have her in right now, I put a puppy playpen around it so she could get outside but not get too far being wobbly. She ended up jumping the playpen and back in the big coop when we went to put them away last night. That's a huge improvement.

Back
Top Bottom