Suddenly lethargic

"When potential problems are seen, remedial action to limit energy intake through the use of lower energy diets and/or change in feed management should be considered."

I am not sure but I think this might mean that a lower protein percent would be better.
If I am not mistaking @micstrachan was feeding a higher protein feed like an all flock and ran in to problems with fatty liver issues too. I believe she ended up switching back to a lower protein like layer feeds usually have.
Yes, this is true. I have had two hens die of fatty liver. I do not know what caused it. I have really done my best to trim them down and I think most of them are healthy and thin. However, I have one or two that still seem fat to me. I don’t understand it. They are all on the same diet and exercise regimen. They are currently on layer only. In the spring, I was mixing layer and grower thinking I might get chicks and could switch everybody to grower until the chicks came of laying age.. However, when I decided not to get chicks this year, I switched back to layer only. I honestly can’t say if it’s helping. I think what’s helping is that the days are longer so they get out to exercise more.

Back
Top Bottom