Suddenly sick -change in behavior today

I seriously doubt that your chicken has TB from the symptoms you describe. Avian TB is transmitted usually by wild birds. It IS dangerous, because it can spread to humans who are immunocompromised such as AIDS patients, young children, but it also can spread to cattle, horse, dog, etc. With any chicken necropsied to be found with TB, the whole flock should be destroyed. In this case, it could be anything in the world wrong--coccidiosis, enteritis, kidney disease, and numerous other diseases. In her case since she is going on three, you may want to investigate internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis as possible causes. Most sick chickens will eat a scrambled chopped egg. Here are some links to read about egg yolk peritonitis and internal laying, plus one on avian TB for anyone else interested:
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3135220/
x2. My first thought was vent gleet IF there's a putrid odor enaminating from the rear end, not avian TB. Ecoli bacterial infection could be the problem as well. Only a necropsy will tell what's going on.

This morning I found her sitting down in the straw in the coop. Don't think she got up on the perch last night. I also had to go in to pick her up; she wouldn't move let along actually come out of the coop.

Separated her from the rest of the flock today. First, I cut the feathers from around her vent. Then, I put on plastic food service gloves and checked in her vent. Didn't feel anything stuck in there. I put with her a small dish of water with a little ACV. A small dish of plain yogurt. And any chicken's favorite food -- meal worms. The most she moved today was 3" one way or another. Most of the time she sat. She did not eat or drink that I could see (even the meal worms!).

One small poo today, just white liquid. Crop is completely empty. She usually has one or the other eye closed.

I'm clueless, this came on very fast and I'm watching my other birds for any signs of illness (none so far). Not sure she's going to last long.

Sunday, I'll clean out the whole coop in case this can be spread to the other girls.

Susan

Sorry that she is not feeling any better today. If she passes, I would check into getting a necropsy done by your state vet. Some states are free, while others charge a fee. The body must be refrigerated, not frozen. Some people do there own to check for egg yolk peritonitis, coccidiosis, worms, and others. I found a blocked gizzard on one of mine that died after less than 2 days. With all of the white urates in her droppings, I would wonder about why there is no stool in it Here is a link about finding your state vet:
http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/statevets.aspx
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Last edited:
This morning I found her sitting down in the straw in the coop. Don't think she got up on the perch last night. I also had to go in to pick her up; she wouldn't move let along actually come out of the coop.

Separated her from the rest of the flock today. First, I cut the feathers from around her vent. Then, I put on plastic food service gloves and checked in her vent. Didn't feel anything stuck in there. I put with her a small dish of water with a little ACV. A small dish of plain yogurt. And any chicken's favorite food -- meal worms. The most she moved today was 3" one way or another. Most of the time she sat. She did not eat or drink that I could see (even the meal worms!).

One small poo today, just white liquid. Crop is completely empty. She usually has one or the other eye closed.

I'm clueless, this came on very fast and I'm watching my other birds for any signs of illness (none so far). Not sure she's going to last long.

Sunday, I'll clean out the whole coop in case this can be spread to the other girls.

Susan
Another thing...if she does not eat by tomorrow, it's a problem. I don't like tube feeding, just because I think it's stressful, but it might save her life. You can actually get baby bird formula powder at most pet stores, and mix it..that works well...or make your own with yogurt and something soft like applesauce. Get a length of clean plastic tubing, like aquarium hose, and a syringe. Measure a length of tubing by looking on the outside from her beak to her crop. Open her beak and gently thread the tube down through the very large hole in her throat, until you feel it stop. Then you can attach the syringe containing your formula to the other end and slowly depress, so that the formula runs down into her crop. Go slow, and when you feel the crop fill, you can stop. You can tell pretty much when to stop, obviously you don't want to fill it too full. We always use two people to do this..one to hold the bird, and one to feed. But with some birds you don't need to. If you tube feed you should do it at least twice a day, preferably three times, until the bird starts eating again on her own.

Symptoms of avian TB are pale color, comb and wattles, wasting even though eating well, sluggishness, lameness especially one-sided, and watery diarrhea. Most references say to cull the flock, but if not, birds should not come in contact with other birds for at least 2 years. Treatment of the disease does not work. Here are more links to read about avian TB:

http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/08/28_mycobacteria.pdf
http://www.poultryhub.org/health/disease/types-of-disease/avian-tuberculosis/
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/tuberculosis/overview_of_tuberculosis_in_poultry.html

Avian Tuberculosis (Mycobacterios):
Avian Tuberculosis occurs throughout the world and has been found in waterfowl, turkeys, psittacines, passerines, columbiformes and raptors. Tuberculosis is transmitted by ingestion and inhalation of aerosolized infectious organisms from feces. Incubation in birds is weeks to months. Any species can be infected, however this is most commonly found in Amazons and Green Cheek Conures. It is believed that immunocompetent humans are resistant to the strains of tuberculosis found in birds, but that immunocompromised people--such as those infected with HIV, those on chemotherapy, the elderly and children are at increased risk.
I still doubt that your chicken has avian TB, but just wanted to post some links for you to compare what you are seeing. The symptoms you have described can go along with many conditions, but if new symptoms show up, be sure to include them.

Last edited:
She needs to be kept warm and she needs fluids, lot of them. Get her warm, then hydrate. Once she is warm and hydrated you can worry about food.

-Kathy

This morning I found her sitting down in the straw in the coop. Don't think she got up on the perch last night.  I also had to go in to pick her up; she wouldn't move let along actually come out of the coop.

Separated her from the rest of the flock today.  First, I cut the feathers from around her vent. Then, I put on plastic food service gloves and checked in her vent.  Didn't feel anything stuck in there.  I put with her a small dish of water with a little ACV.  A small dish of plain yogurt.  And any chicken's favorite food -- meal worms. The most she moved today was 3" one way or another. Most of the time she sat.  She did not eat or drink that I could see (even the meal worms!).

One small poo today, just white liquid.  Crop is completely empty.  She usually has one or the other eye closed.

I'm clueless, this came on very fast and I'm watching my other birds for any signs of illness (none so far).  Not sure she's going to last long.

Susan

Another thing...if she does not eat by tomorrow, it's a problem.  I  don't like tube feeding, just because I think it's stressful, but it might save her life. You can actually get baby bird formula powder at most pet stores, and mix it..that works well...or make your own with yogurt and something soft like applesauce.  Get a length of clean plastic tubing, like aquarium hose, and a syringe. Measure a length of tubing by looking on the outside from her beak to her crop.  Open her beak and gently thread the tube down through the very large hole in her throat, until you feel it stop.  Then you can attach the syringe containing your formula to the other end and slowly depress, so that the formula runs down into her crop. Go slow, and when you feel the crop  fill, you can stop.  You can tell pretty much when to stop, obviously you don't want to fill it too full.   We always use two people to do this..one to hold the bird, and one to feed. But with some birds you don't need to. If you tube feed you should do it at least twice a day, preferably three times, until the bird starts eating again on her own. 

Tube feeding is what I would do, but only after her hydration was corrected. Never tube feed a cold or dehydrated bird, it can kill them.

Rthepunk, check out the tubing link in my sig, then go find the supplies needed and I'll teach you how on the phone or here, whatever is easiest for you. Your hen, if she's a big hen, needs no less than 60ml fluids 3-4 times a day.

-Kathy

Sorry, I should have been more clear... I would tube fluids first, then fluids mixed with Kaytee Baby Bird Food.

-Kathy

This morning, my hubby and I had to leave very early in the morning for an appt. about 2-3 hrs from here. I opened the coop door right as the sky was lighting. She was at the exact same place I set her last night. On the way home today, we stopped and got some Corid. We fully expected her to be gone when we got home.

But, surprise, she was out in the yard slowly picking at the dirt. She tried to come running like the rest of them do when they see me, but just managed a slow walk. (This is much better than the last 24 hours when she just sat or stood.)

I missed up the Corid as directed and managed to give her 9 ML of the liquid a few drops at a time which she seemed happy to drink. Of course, she's feeling bad since she let me handle her. I then checked her vent again (nothing) and lightly massaged her abdomen for 5 minutes. It's warm outside (high 60s) so I'm not worried about that.

I also bought some chick starter at TS and put it in the palm of my hand. She had a few peck of that then ate some meal worms. (Remember, yesterday she didn't eat or drink at all.) She's still standing outside so I'll put her in tonight after I give her some more water and see if she eat a little more out of my hand.

At least she's hanging in there.

Comb and waddles are red, she has not lost any weight, her butt seems to be down a bit. Poo still running white.

I have pictures but have not yet figured out how to post

I mean "I mixed up the Corid."

She how her butt hangs low.
Poo all white with little pieces of grass.

Back
Top Bottom