Suddenly sick hen....not sure what to do

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by calamarie, Feb 16, 2016.

1. calamarie

calamarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    very interesting, does this issue usually come on suddenly? I did go back and check her weight and she is skin and bones, now she's sort of falling over and a has some liquid coming from her beak.

2. Cheetah1

Cheetah1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2015
    I think my advice is wrong, because I got the wrong definition. Here let me look for something about worms. Sorry, for giving you wrong advice

3. Cheetah1

Nov 29, 2015
    I read about something like that give me a moment

4. Cheetah1

Nov 29, 2015
    So the half good news is loss of weight is a sign of worms, which is better than death. The other sign of worms is seeing them in their feces and more.

5. Cheetah1

Nov 29, 2015
    Have you looked at any of her feces. Their feces help to figure out what is happening a lot.

6. Cheetah1

Nov 29, 2015
    Is it runny at her eyes and nose, because that would be a sign of a cold. Loss of weight is a sign to another sickness, but I am guessing it isn't because the only sign of it is loss of weight. Your hen has more than that one. I am not 100% sure if I am correct, I say look for more symptoms and before treating a hen check in with someone who knows chicken sicknesses more than me. Also don't assume anything extreme will happen, like her dying. Thanks for letting me try to help though. I will hopefully come back to see if she is better. Please say when she is better. Thank you and bye for now. :D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  7. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    Does the liquid coming out of her mouth have a smell?

8. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    And sickness does seem to come on quick. Chickens hide it well until it gets worse.

9. calamarie

calamarie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    no it doesn't smell, I did smell her beak and didn't notice anything, Her poop is liquid....hmm other than that she just looks like death literally :-/

10. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    It really sounds like worms to me. Maybe you can pm @casportpony to see what she says. She's amazing at these type of things. If you can't get her another amazing person is @TwoCrows .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by