Suddenly stopped laying

They didn't have any supplemental lighting throughout the winter - we just let them stop laying and molt and rest, so I find it strange that they started laying as normal when spring hit, but now all of a sudden have stopped again.
Most of their food is the layers pellets and whatever they forage - we give them corn maybe a few times a week, and some sunflower seeds as a treat once a day.

They didn't have any supplemental lighting throughout the winter - we just let them stop laying and molt and rest, so I find it strange that they started laying as normal when spring hit, but now all of a sudden have stopped again.
Most of their food is the layers pellets and whatever they forage - we give them corn maybe a few times a week, and some sunflower seeds as a treat once a day.
Same for my hen. :idunno

Hybrids are bred to grow fast and produce a lot of eggs in a short period of time.They fizzle out and don't live as long as heritage breeds.Adding light to a flock with hybrids will burn those out faster.Chickens are born with all the eggs they'll lay in their lifetime so adding light only gives you eggs at a faster rate(edit: irrelevant in your case since you don't use lights)

Last edited:
Hybrids are bred to grow fast and produce a lot of eggs in a short period of time.They fizzle out and don't live as long as heritage breeds.Adding light to a flock with hybrids will burn those out faster.Chickens are born with all the eggs they'll lay in their lifetime so adding light only gives you eggs at a faster rate(edit: irrelevant in your case since you don't use lights)
Chickens will rarely if ever use all the eggs they have when hatched. Sexlinks may be more apt to die before they are done laying.

I'm 99.99% sure our chickens haven't come to the end of their laying cycle. Our chickens were hatched by us from a neighbour, whose chickens are all laying into year 5 and 6 (ours are only a year old), so I'm not sure this is the answer.

Still a bit stumped! I guess we'll just wait a few weeks and hope they start laying again!

I'm 99.99% sure our chickens haven't come to the end of their laying cycle. Our chickens were hatched by us from a neighbour, whose chickens are all laying into year 5 and 6 (ours are only a year old), so I'm not sure this is the answer.

Still a bit stumped! I guess we'll just wait a few weeks and hope they start laying again!
Its unlikely the whole flock would quit laying at the same time even if they were at the end of their laying cycle. Stress can cause the whole flock to stop laying at the same time ( or lack of water)

Back
Top Bottom