Suddenly unable to walk!! VIDEO

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
My 20 week old pullet was running around chest bumping other pullets yesterday, being awesome. In fact, it was the first day I saw her walking on the nesting box roosts checking out boxes.
Today I opened the coop and they all ran out except "Camo". She was laying on the hay...(thought she was laying an egg). But when I went to her, she scuttled away, flapping her wings, and pushing with her leg/s. but was basically moving around on her chest/face this way and that. WTF????

She roosted last night- so its happened between then and first thing this morning.

What should I do- how do I inspect her- what could it possibly be????
Looks neuological or a disease...but how is this possible?? Flock is healthy and so was she, yesterday...?

I put her in a cat carrier this morning before I left, going out to check on her now.

My 20 week old pullet was running around chest bumping other pullets yesterday, being awesome. In fact, it was the first day I saw her walking on the nesting box roosts checking out boxes.
Today I opened the coop and they all ran out except "Camo". She was laying on the hay...(thought she was laying an egg). But when I went to her, she scuttled away, flapping her wings, and pushing with her leg/s. but was basically moving around on her chest/face this way and that. WTF????

She roosted last night- so its happened between then and first thing this morning.

What should I do- how do I inspect her- what could it possibly be????
Looks neuological or a disease...but how is this possible?? Flock is healthy and so was she, yesterday...?

I put her in a cat carrier this morning before I left, going out to check on her now.
Is it possible she injured one of her legs? Can you upload pics and/or a video?

Is it possible she injured one of her legs? Can you upload pics and/or a video?
Ok, I just went out and let her out in my feed room. Did a leg inspection- her legs are fine. Both feet can clasp, both legs work well. She took 3-5 slow steps, and the face planted. I also inspected her wings. They are good. She is perfectly fine, except she cannot balance. She spreads her tail out and open like a turkey, and walks very slowly, with her head out and down-like a snake almost. Then falls to one side or the other. Not always the same side.
I took a video, and will try to load it. I have not ever been successful doing that though..

Ok, I just went out and let her out in my feed room. Did a leg inspection- her legs are fine. Both feet can clasp, both legs work well. She took 3-5 slow steps, and the face planted. I also inspected her wings. They are good. She is perfectly fine, except she cannot balance. She spreads her tail out and open like a turkey, and walks very slowly, with her head out and down-like a snake almost. Then falls to one side or the other. Not always the same side.
I took a video, and will try to load it. I have not ever been successful doing that though..
Your poor hen! She might be having a heart attack, or something like that.
I don't know anything about these sorts of things, I'm better at helping with broken legs.

Did you hatch her from your flock? Or did you introduce her or any poultry that were vaccinated or from hatcheries (or not quarantined for 30 days before introduction to your flock)? If the latter, I would be worried about Marek’s as a worst case possibility 😔

Others might have a better idea though as I keep a closed flock and haven’t dealt with Marek’s before.

She is a 20 wk old pullet. Just yesterday I was watching her check out the nesting boxes and I was happy she was doing that!! she was free ranging and chest bumping with her flock mates, she roosted fine at 7 pm. This morning when I opened the coop and everyone ran out- she was laying in the hay, so I moved to her, and she scooted away on her chest/face/ flapping all over and pushing with her legs. I had a 10 am appointment to get my snow tires on so I put her in a cat carrier with food and water and when I got back I took this video.

Any help or ideas? I have inspected her legs and wings and she seems very healthy, although she did have her beak open this morning when I carried her to the feed room and put her away into the cat carrier. So sad. She is holding her tail open (like a turkey) and her head down low to the ground. Cannot balance. When you hold her, you can't feel anything is wrong. She feels strong.

Did you hatch her from your flock? Did you introduce any that were vaccinated or from hatcheries (or not quarantined for 30 days). If so, I would be worried about Marek’s as a worst case possibility 😔

She is one of my eggs, yes, hatched from my flock. yes.

I got a beautiful rooster in August from a local lady, but he was in quarantined for over 30 days. 5 weeks actually- in a Different building. Its not from him I'm sure.
I dont think Mareks is an overnight thing.

Back
Top Bottom