Suddenly Vegetarian... Yikes!

Rustic Chicken

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
OK, am I nuts or has this happened to anyone else? I have gone through sporadic phases in my life where I stop eating meat for periods of time but it has been awhile, but now that I have these cute little chicks that I am raising for layers and I cannot bring myself to eat chicken. I have a protein deficiency and am allergic to beans, nuts and soy so it is important that I eat meat. Any help to get over this would be appreciated.
big_smile.png

Are you also allergic to lentils? They are a legume like beans, but aren't a bean. Can you eat quinoa? It doesn't have a huge amount of protein in it, but it has a more complete amino acid profile.

How do you feel about eating eggs, beef, pork, fish or other seafood? Eggs are good protein.

What is most important to me is that the creature had a good life while it was alive and a humane death. You could look for a more humane source of food. There are a lot of people producing pastured meat.

welcome-byc.gif
and to the fun of chickeneering.

I know it can be difficult to reconcile one's love for their new baby chicks and their love for nourishing chicken on the plate. But I think you can continue to enjoy eating chicken without feeling disloyal to your own laying hens.

The facts of chicken life for standard breeds like your layers are that only about 10% of all the roosters hatched will find employment as breeders, flock husbands, or pets. That leaves around 90% of them having their purpose on a plate somewhere. And there are far worse fates than living a brief healthy life then providing nourishment for some grateful people.

Most of the chickens that people eat in this country are a type selectively bred to grow to maturity in just 8 weeks. Beyond that they have a short life expectancy and would die on their own anyway.

I have learned to love both baby chicks in my coop and savory chicken served on my plate. Like I tell my kids, "Don't worry, we won't eat them while they're cute & fuzzy!"

The best you can do is to choose chicken that has been raised in the best, most humane conditions you can find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys... your comments have been really helpful. I feel very stupid about the whole thing. I have no problem eating the eggs, I just suddenly realized that I didn't know if I could eat chicken! We have a local organic free range chicken farm nearby that I will be a good alternative should I get up the courage to eat chicken again. If not, seafood and lentils it is:D

I have a BIL who used to raise sheep, cattle, and chickens. He also hunted deer and they ate venison. They started every meal with a prayer of thanks and appreciation for the life of the animal they were about to consume. Their children never had a problem with Fluffy or Bambi being dinner that night.

You are perfectly normal!

I used to love roast duck, but am unable to eat it since becoming a duck slave.
I know it is silly, but there it is.

I never had a problem with chickens. My pet chickens were just that. Fun colorful breeds that laid eggs and ate treats from my hand.

Meat chickens are meat chickens. I will be raising my first ones this fall, I hope. They will not be interacted with beyond making sure they are well cared for.

People go through cycles where they don't eat meat. For me, in summer, I almost exclusively eat veggies and fruits.

Back
Top Bottom