Suet for chickens?

I live in northern Maine where the winters can stay sub-zero for more than a few weeks during the dead of winter. This is only my first winter with my birds so I'm not going to take the chance that they will freeze!
My neighbor who also raises chickens make suet blocks for his girls and does not force them to lay during the winter months with artificial light as it take more energy to lay during the colder months and can shorten the life of a chicken.
His recipe is very simple and I gave some to my girls the other day and they LOVED
wee.gif
it! So here it is:
1/4 cup molasses
1 lb. suet ( you can buy it at any butcher shop)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 5 lb. bag of mixed bird seed

Melt the solids in a big pot and add in the seed.
He uses silicone muffin tins to for the chicken blocks.
Pour the mixture into the molds and place it in the freezer to firm up.
When solid, feed one block to your birds once or twice a week as needs during the winter.

This recipe is great! I'm going to try making some right away but I was wondering if you have to keep them in the freezer until right before you use it. Can you take them out and put them a Ziploc or the fridge?

I've been rearing baby ducks and turkeys for years without special treats, but I'm curious about offering suet blocks to baby chicks that I plan to raise in the coming spring months...I've read many posts that suggest suet blocks are great for baby chicken chicks, but I've also read posts that suggest suet is too rich for baby chicks...please educate me, as my expertise revolves mostly around sheep, turkeys, and dogs :) Thank you for any input!!!

Yes, I fed a small hanging piece of suet to my chicks when they were young. They seemed not to overeat it, This winter after they finished the Flock Block, I made them another suet cake from butcher scraps and seeds. They loved it. Now while it's a little warmer, I give them kitchen scraps, cooked rolled oats and cracked corn, while keeping the feeder filled with organic grain.

Back
Top Bottom