1. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    While I fully admit that I am not the best speller, and there are likely typos in this post, even as an English speaker with teenagers, there is a lot of text type and such here that make the posts very hard to read.

I've seen it on other forums, and it's a fairly common rule, that text type and such are reserved for the "games" section, or just not allowed in general.

Not only does this make the posts easier for everyone to read, it does encourage any people who like text type to type properly at least some of the time, which is a good habit for school and work.

Any chance something like this could be set up here?

2. Runt Of The Litter

Runt Of The Litter Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    cheshire,UK
    tend to agree on this subject when it comes to typical text speak,as it is a short format which online is not needed because we do not have the same limits as a phone text may have,plus its rather disrespectful in own view to post on a forum with text talk as are expecting people to decipher and read it.

however,like many forums on the web-BYC is a very diverse community with people of all ages, nationalities, abilities, experiences and backgrounds and not everyone is able to write to the same level of english.
    in own view it shoudnt be seen as a negative thing as such but more a part of online etiquette [or netiquette]-ie,if we want more chance of our posts being understood and listened to by others we shoud write it to the clearest of our ability,forums are for posting back/forth messages so it makes sense to try and make them readable.
    for some of us,language,grammar,spelling and all that sort of gubbins are a part of a disability,injury or difficulty,medication can also be an issue in this area to.

speaking of text talk in particular,it tends to be with the younger ones of society who prefer to write like this everywhere in their life due to using their phones so often but most usualy mature as they get into adulthood-and though it does slow down a lot of readers information processing,even the worst spelling hasnt slowed intelligence nor detered some people from becoming some of the worlds most respected people,like einstein ,richard branson etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by