Suggestions for chicken breeds for kids?

Alrighty. Those Brahma are looking awfully cool, i actually like how big they are. I do have a flock of Muscovy drakes left that they could encounter if we leave them either free ranged and/or into the main fenced area, not that they are used to chickens but the drakes can be bratty now and then... current chickens hold their own... but... substance is not a bad trait.

My buff orpingtons, barred rocks, and golden buffs are very friendly but I made a baby out of a black sex link. She is very nice and likes to follow me around. When she was a chick and we had her inside she would climb all over me and let me hold and pet her

Awe. So sweet!

I've heard beliefelders are super friendly and Mellow, also cochins and wyandottes

The first ones, yes they are i owned them years ago. Had an absolutely huge, gorgeous and docile Roo. I had bantam cochin mine i didn't find friendly but were hand raised, the Wyandottes we have considered as i have heard they are nice overall birds, plus adorable shape lol

LOL NO house chickens!! I mean we start them in the house unless they are with a mama we are suckers that way... but that is where i draw the line. :plbb
Ya me too. It's a very strict rule in this house.
20191222_113523.jpg

The first ones, yes they are i owned them years ago. Had an absolutely huge, gorgeous and docile Roo. I had bantam cochin mine i didn't find friendly but were hand raised, the Wyandottes we have considered as i have heard they are nice overall birds, plus adorable shape lol
Wyandottes can sometimes be mean. Some individuals can be nice, but even if hand raised can have a temper. Some are docile towards humans, but I have heard one to many stories about how peoples Wyandotte hens are bullies toward flock members to keep this breed.
But hey, who knows? Maybe if you got one it would be really sweet.

Chantecler. They are the a Canadian developed breed for the cold. They come in several colors. Our 1 female Chantecler is friendly.
Yes I'm very fond of my chantecler ladies. They are very gentle and sweet and vocal. I have one named songbird that sings to me every night from her perch. Wonderful breed. I'm always looking for more without driving to Quebec.

Definitely cochins/bantam cochins!! I may be biased, but they are the best for cuddles. My daughter is 4 and they are WONDERFUL with her. Climb all over her, run to her for pets and treats... Just so stinking sweet.

ISA brown and golden comet lay and love like no other. All my pure breed or heritage, take longer to lay and aren't as loving.

My Buff orpingtons are very nice if you want a sustainable but the ISA browns are hand fed from 12 week with little handling They come to the treats and walk under you with no effort. Amberlink roo is an honorable mention also. no agression and ok with ladies.

Back
Top Bottom