Suggestions for 'homemade" nesting boxes

GinaSki

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 14, 2007
Hi !
I am new to this site and looking for suggestions on homemade nesting boxes.. got some great tips on feeders and waterers... thought I could get some help here too... I am very new to keepin' chickens... So far we have build a pen and am in the process of converting an LARGE old rabbit hut into a nice 'new' hen house.... so .. now the question about the nest box... I prefer to make one instead of buying one.... will have 4-5 large breed pullets in about 3 weeks.... any suggestions, pictures or ideas ??
Thanks Gina
smile.png
:

Anything that is about 12x12 in size is good. I've heard of poeple using milk crates, and I have a bucket on it's side for my two silkies (they are babies and still fit in it).

Maybe I am 'over-thinking' this but .. plastic bucket ,right ? and how dii you secure it from rolling from side to side with the hens in it ???
hmm.png
thanks !!!

Well Silkies can't fly, and they are in a chicken tractor right now (they are big enough to be outside but not big enough to be with the big girls yet) so the bucket is on the ground and it's being held with a brick.
Since they are still really young, they can both fit in there with shavings. They like to perch on the brick. When they get a little bigger, I'll let them out with the other girls, but for now, they will stay in the run in a chicken tractor.

I've never gotten around to making a 'real' nesting box for my four hens. Instead they use a cardboard box that I cut one of the short end sides half down and put on the coop floor, I fill it half full with wood shavings. The size that copier paper comes in seems to work well. It's free and easy and actually works well for my small number of hens.
Joan
http://urban-agrarian.blogspot.com/

i have the big trash cans that are about 2 feet high, upside down with hay on them. my birds free range during the day and it's my way of keeping my beagle from stealing the eggs.

i also use these from michael's.

cp0231.jpg

I buy a piece of 1x10 board whatever they have 6 ft. I cut two pieces 12 inches and 2 pieces 16 inches. I make a box 16 " high. and 12 inches wide. I usually have some kind of plywood or scrap around here. I attach a back usually 6 to 8 inches across the back. I use one about 4-5 inches across the front. I use deck screws or sheetrock screws to attach the pieces. It is pretty easy. They are not always completely straight but the chickens are very forgiving and don't mind at all. I set these on the floor or slightly off the floor on blocks. It is easy to move with a broody if the occasion arrises.

For some reason my girls seem to like this type of nest better than the other things I have tired. I have a few that lay in the 5 gallon plastic bucket on its side but I also have two of them that stay empty each day.

Gina, I like to keep things simple sometimes when it works out ok. Cardboard boxes that are 12x18 or larger work great. I build shelves in the coop with lips so the boxes don't slide or move. when soiled simply replace with fresh ones.

Chickens are easy going, not like dogs or other farm animals that are strong and pushy. It works well for me, keeping things easy does it!
love.gif

bigzio

I always thought those wooden tangerine crates would make great nests for banties. I've been saving them for 2 or three years now--but I don't have any banties.

(Say, is there something wrong with me?)
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom