Suggestions for new coop idea!

LilBoyBlue

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 19, 2014
Sanborn NY
I have expanded my chicken operation from nine hens to 24 hens. The nine hens are adult layers, and the remaining 15 I just picked up from tractor supply a couple weeks back. I am making a much larger run to encompass the old coop and the new coop that I am going to provide for the 15 young ones. I am looking for some suggestions on how I should modify my new coop. It is a plastic shed that is already in my backyard so I figure might as well repurpose it. The size is roughly 6 feet wide by 8 feet long by 6 feet high.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I think the challenge is going to be to have good ventilation high in the coop without letting rain and snow in. You'd almost need some sort of awning over the openings. You might even just cut about a 6" wide hole the length of the shed at the roof peak, then build a raised covering that is maybe twice the width of the hole. You'll need a natural light source as well, besides a ventilation setup like that. You'll also need to be able to open it up enough in summer to have a good cross breeze -- like two good sized windows.

My roosts are built on "planted" 4x4's because there is nothing, really, in the wall to build to. Nests are just box shaped objects that we had lying around. You can use the main doors as the chicken door if you don't want to cut a pop door; they aren't really a necessity. If you want to hang a feeder, you might have to put in a support board coming up from the floor to help support the weight.

I'm sure there are other ways to do these things. I have a shed similar to that, and I've often thought it would be a bit tricky to turn it into a coop. One way would be to install a metal roof on or over the whole thing, extending out far enough to create awnings for windows and ventilation holes.

I appreciate your feedback, and I agree with you immensely! I guess I was just happy I didn't have to build anything… But looking back on it now I think there's a lot of work to be put into the plastic shed to make it worth converting it into a coop. I think it could be done, but I also don't want an eyesore in my backyard LOL

It looks like I might have to go with Old Faithful… 2x4s, plywood, and corrugated roof panels!

Back
Top Bottom