Suggestions for selecting Silkie Cockerel for breeding

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tamour, Jul 25, 2016.

1. tamour

tamour Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2015
    Rawalpindi, Pakistan
    Hey everyone! Hope all of you are doing fine. I wanted to ask for some suggestions about choosing the Silkie Cockerel for my breeding pen, So the thing is that I have got two Silkie males, Male-A 8 months old and Male-B who is 6 months old. Their photos are attached below along with brief summary

Male-A
    Con: As per my assessment, he is a bit smaller in size, has a large Comb and subsequently smaller crest.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Male-B
    Cons: He is normal in size, but has a bit lighter Comb, missing feathers on middle toe and a few hard feathers in his tail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So guys please help me choose the right guy for my gals. The Silkie hens are nice birds, something in-between pet/breeder quality birds with good crests and feet feathering.

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I'd say Male A. While that comb is indeed rather ugly, he definitely has better body shape than Male B.

3. tamour

Aug 11, 2015
    Rawalpindi, Pakistan
    Thanks @QueenMisha for your kind suggestion.

4. tamour

Aug 11, 2015
    Rawalpindi, Pakistan
    Anyone else who would like to comment? [​IMG]

5. OneLostHen

OneLostHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2012
    Santa Fe, TX
    I go with A. He has a nicer face. I believe the size can be made up for depending on who the hen is.

6. tamour

Aug 11, 2015
    Rawalpindi, Pakistan
    Thanks @OneLostHen for your suggestion. I have got a hen who is bigger in size, would mate him with her to get better sized males.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by