Suggestions for this coop

I guess I'm confused. Is this kennel going to be the coop, or are you thinking it'd be a run with a coop inside?

If this is going to be modified into a coop and you're going to attach a much larger run or free range, you're good on space, if it's a run with a coop, it's way too small for 20 as perkolator noted.
Ok so if I have 20 hens and I put a coop inside, how would I attach a run, or what be the best simplest way to do this. I guess I really want to somehow incorporate the dog kennel. I do believe in free range part of a day or 1 day a week with usually me right there. Also I want to make sure I don’t want to overcrowd my chickens.

Ok, those extra deatails help. Like I'd say when you put a roof have it over hang to protect the wood from rotting. I'd also like to say to definitely add a coop on the inside, and most of those smaller coop in or large coops actually do have a roost bar or two. The only problem is that in my opinion I do find most of these to be way over priced. However I can show you two or three I have found over the years that have good prices, well okay prices.
Thanks so much Gigachad poultry. I would love to see them
Betsy

Personally I would take the kennel off that foundation and place a chicken coop on it. The chainlink fence is not ideal due to predators being able to grab chickens through their. As an accessory area for them to roam, on top of soil or dirt that is one thing, but a run on top of just wood planks is not ideal for chickens to scratch and the chainlink creates problems due to porosity so yea, I would not use this set up as the all-in-one coop and run. If you're concerned about them "free-ranging" you could put the kennel on wheels and use that as a mobile run with a primary run build around that platform that givens the a protected space to scratch on dirt/grass (for now) and a coop on that platform to climb into at night.

Just my two cents.

Personally I would take the kennel off that foundation and place a chicken coop on it. The chainlink fence is not ideal due to predators being able to grab chickens through their. As an accessory area for them to roam, on top of soil or dirt that is one thing, but a run on top of just wood planks is not ideal for chickens to scratch and the chainlink creates problems due to porosity so yea, I would not use this set up as the all-in-one coop and run. If you're concerned about them "free-ranging" you could put the kennel on wheels and use that as a mobile run with a primary run build around that platform that givens the a protected space to scratch on dirt/grass (for now) and a coop on that platform to climb into at night.

Just my two cents.
This is a view and a very good idea.

Dang on one inch short if stupid, because I just realized these are available on amazon.it and you'd need to pay import tax. I tried looking on amazon.com but I couldn't find something under 300$ and that's way to expensive for a coop that only hold two hens. So maybe import tax is worth it for a bigger coop? Or maybe it's even cheaper to make something even bigger from supplies bought at the store?

Ok so if I have 20 hens and I put a coop inside, how would I attach a run, or what be the best simplest way to do this. I guess I really want to somehow incorporate the dog kennel. I do believe in free range part of a day or 1 day a week with usually me right there. Also I want to make sure I don’t want to overcrowd my chickens.
A run would just be more wire fencing - attaching to an existing fence shouldn't be too hard. I would just attach it to the front where the human door is. For 20 hens you're looking at a run of a minimum of about 200 sq ft.

If you really want to convert this to a coop it'd be plywood or wood panels of some sort on at least 2 or 3 sides, and hardware cloth over the rest. Any openings over 1/2" need to be covered. Basically you're just using the fence for the structure to make a big box but I don't know if it can take the weight of all that material attached.

How many chickens? If you put a coop inside the run, your reducing the size of the run.
If possible, put the coop on the outside of the run.
Ok update
I found a coop. I will be adding chain link fencing to what I have. The coop is 6 ft and so is the chain link. I’m going to stain it, so the rain doesn’t rot the wood. I ordered 15 chicks and got 20 (of course). They all arrived safe. I have my brooder, kind of make shift, also got a heat plate, not a heat lamp. I guess we will find out how many roosters, in the weeks to come.

Hi Betsy - Pictures of current set up? Went back & re-read your original post. What type of weather do you actually receive?

Also, what kind of chicks did you get? Bantam or full size?

As to using the dog kennel, there are many ways to do that. I agree w/ above - best to move it to the ground so they can scratch. My dog kennel would not support a wood roof directly (would need to do a free standing roof of 4x4 or 4x6 posts), But I'm a big fan of cattle panel & have hooped it over the top...

Here's a post I did for someone else. Post in thread 'Chain-link dog kennels for run?'

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chain-link-dog-kennels-for-run.1572288/post-26902322

Depending on your weather, you can use the chain link privacy slats, tarp, shower curtains - instead of wood to create a solid wall. Someone on BYC even used bamboo, vertically - it was FANTASTIC! You still need smaller wire on inside of fence for security.

Many ways to attach your roosts or freestanding. Same w/ nest boxes.

I live in an area where I can do open air coops (moore/Harnett counties, NC). I love the hooped cattle panels for coops, runs & run extentions. They can be put on a wood base, a pvc base or no base at all (t-posts to hold in place). At bottom 2-3', use 1/4" or 1/2" HC. Higher, I use 2x4" welded wire that I put on inside curve. So far I've used tarps - when I didn't have 2x4 wire up & hurricane destroyed tarp(s) birds got out. Won't keep snakes from climbing & getting in (neither does 1/2" HC.

I had a lot of 8x8' coops I was using as smaller breeding pens (8) - then due to family stuff out of state, chickens were processed, sold or given to good homes. Last used in 2019. Didn't think to take tarps off or remove drinkers, feeders. To be used again now, they will need updating (some w/ smaller wire) , drinkers/ feeders (plastic 5 gallon buckets disintegrate in sun & heat over the years) & roofs. 4 were to have attached runs, but didn't happen before... would/could now.

They weren't fancy but they did work! They will work again.

Coops, cattle panel, sheds

I've learned that the "guide" of 4' in coop, 10+' run/chicken is definitely true! During Hurricane Florence, I combined chickens that were out in tractors & temporary grazing "paddocks" into the hooped pens w/ established flocks. During storm itself, they did OK. After storm, didn't take long - fights, chasing, feather pulling... just too small of areas for doubled/tripled #s of birds. The wet & wind kept me from putting tractors/ grazing pens in place & separating birds right away. BIG MISTAKE...

Hurricane Florence - 2018

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom