Suggestions for this coop

Betsyg16

Chirping
May 16, 2020
Here’s what I have to build my chicken coop.
It’s an old dog kennel. Any suggestions would be great. I know I need a roof. What about the wood the chain link fence is on. I’ll be getting my chicks as soon as I make this ready. I’m in North eastern Tennessee
Thanks Betsy

Attachments

• IMG_7453.jpeg
    IMG_7453.jpeg
    763.5 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_7451.jpeg
    IMG_7451.jpeg
    777.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7452.jpeg
    IMG_7452.jpeg
    743 KB · Views: 23
Well you'll definitely need a place for them to roost and that whole kennel needs to be wind proof and I suggest the roof over hangs so it doesn't hurt the wood. And I'd suggest you get some nest boxes. Also chicks under a month or two should be kept in a brooder with a heat lamp. Hope this helps

Well you'll definitely need a place for them to roost and that whole kennel needs to be wind proof and I suggest the roof over hangs so it doesn't hurt the wood. And I'd suggest you get some nest boxes. Also chicks under a month or two should be kept in a brooder with a heat lamp. Hope this helps
Yes, I should have been a little more specific. I’ve been raising chickens for 5 years. I have a brooder ready. I was thinking I could purchase a coop to put inside, possibly. And then build a roost. I do need a roof.

Yes, I should have been a little more specific. I’ve been raising chickens for 5 years. I have a brooder ready. I was thinking I could purchase a coop to put inside, possibly. And then build a roost. I do need a roof.
Ok, those extra deatails help. Like I'd say when you put a roof have it over hang to protect the wood from rotting. I'd also like to say to definitely add a coop on the inside, and most of those smaller coop in or large coops actually do have a roost bar or two. The only problem is that in my opinion I do find most of these to be way over priced. However I can show you two or three I have found over the years that have good prices, well okay prices.

Chain link panels like those are good for some situations, especially for people who need a more turnkey fence solution, or have a large predators and need the beefier fencing and pole structure - but the large openings usually require additional hardware cloth on the walls or an anti-dig skirting, etc....and then you need overhead protection as mentioned.

Kennel looks roughly 10x10, which is too small for 20 birds unless this is only their sleeping quarters? Recommended minimum for run space is ~10sq feet, so you'd need at least twice the size of this, but I'd go triple. I'd also take out the wood structure and let them access the ground

Here’s what I have to build my chicken coop.

I was thinking I could purchase a coop to put inside, possibly.
I guess I'm confused. Is this kennel going to be the coop, or are you thinking it'd be a run with a coop inside?

If this is going to be modified into a coop and you're going to attach a much larger run or free range, you're good on space, if it's a run with a coop, it's way too small for 20 as perkolator noted.

Back
Top Bottom