Suggestions for trail camera for predators

Lyranonamous

Songster
9 Years
Nov 23, 2013
Freeville NY (near Ithaca)
Hi all

We had an opossum in the coop two nights ago, which thankfully did not kill any of our chickens. He got in before we closed the door, and my husband discovered him when he went to lock up. I think he was only there a few minutes at best. He walked in the main coop door; our coop is otherwise secure. (it's within a barn, so solid walls, concrete floors, wire cloth over windows, etc)
Five chickens were inside with said opossum and 5 ran away into the snow to avoid it. I can only imagine the opossum sneaked in while chickens were making their back to the coop from the run.
I have to assume he will be back, although there were no signs of him this morning-maybe because my husband hit it with a big stick. We checked the snow and found no opossum tracks. I did however see a lot of tracks I didn't recognize and lots of territory marking.
We want to put up a trail camera to keep a watch for the opossum and coyotes, etc. Can anyone suggest a good trail camera or ones to avoid? Any feature that's an absolute must in your opinion?

Hey question if I have a light on all night in my coop will a predator still try and get in? I know a cat or dog would...
I have sensor lights and I see the fox in my cameras, In the beginning, when the lights turn on he looks at them and keeps going, now he just keeps going

Moultrie makes good cameras, still pictures and video , I have 5 going on the farm and they work great and are reasonably priced ,think I paid 69.00 for mine and some are 5 years old .but that said trapping is the best option in my opinion.

Hey question if I have a light on all night in my coop will a predator still try and get in? I know a cat or dog would...
I read that opossums won't go into light areas, and even blinking Christmas tree lights will deter them, but I have no way of knowing if that's correct. It probable depends on how hungry they are. Maybe others have direct experience
We have the Nite Guard lites on 3 sides of the barn, but it might have been too high up for the opossum to see-it's supposed to be at eye level of the predator. I mostly expect foxes so that's the level I had it. Some people swear by these things.

I have sensor lights and I see the fox in my cameras, In the beginning, when the lights turn on he looks at them and keeps going, now he just keeps going
So he has become adapted to the light-interesting. I saw an outdoor light at Best Buy tht had an alarm on it. It would generally be used on your house to scare off intruders but might be good for chicken coops as well.

Back
Top Bottom