Suggestions in re: These Ventilation Cartoons?

I don't know if this is different...

In the winter, I have furnace filter material over 3 ventilation areas that are near roost level, to allow air exchange, but cut the breeze down to almost nothing. The two large openings above roost level are north and south, so they get a lot of wind from those directions. I cover the bottom half of those, so the breeze is at the top of the coop, running the length of the roof, which is an arch.

When I go in to clean the poop board, there can be a strong breeze up by my head. I duck down to roost level, and there is air movement, but it wouldn't ruffle feathers.

Doing this on my phone. The only “paint” type app I have is photo editing. So forgive the concrete backdrop.

Attachments

• 6FF43445-0BAD-4C32-BC9C-856539C0C68B.jpeg
    6FF43445-0BAD-4C32-BC9C-856539C0C68B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
That's kind of what I have in mind for the open air -- showing how the air doesn't move much around the roosts themselves.

I'm intending this to be a sort of open-air coop, but with reduced exposure... now that I've already built it, have I just guaranteed drafts? Both sides go from closed (probably never completely) to fully open. The top is the same, but will normally be wide open. It's roughly 16 SF of ventilation with 16 SF of floor. (only 4 hens!) The roosts are below the front opening and above (barely) the side screens.

AirFlowCoop.jpg

This could be, probably the most provocative thing seen all week
Are there any other ventilation scenarios people can think of?

I intend to add an open air coop scenario to show how the 3-sided shelter works.
I wish I could come up with additional ventilation situations just to see more of these illustrations, but unfortunately can't think of any! Boo. Please update with the article here when done! :D

First off, I know that I can't draw. But I *can* diagram and I've been trying to expand on my collection of ventilation/airflow diagrams made as crayon cartoons in Paint (the only drawing software I have access too).

I'd appreciate any suggestions on improving/adding to this series of illustrations of airflow -- good and bad.

First, my original diagram:

View attachment 3114370

I think I could improve this by adding a hen and using varying thickness lines to indicate a gentle rise of air.

This one has the hen but not the indication of gentle rise vs more active air movement:

View attachment 3114377

This shows one kind of draftiness with and without a hen:

View attachment 3114373View attachment 3114375

And another kind of draftiness:

View attachment 3114374

I think I need to show how the 3-sided shelter for an open air coop works as well. Anything else?

Any suggestions on how to illustrate a hen suffering in a hot, stuffy, stale coop?

Back
Top Bottom