Suggestions on making this into a chicken coop

blmcdbug

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2017
Manchester, IA
This was built for large breed rabbits. It is 3 tier of 24" tall by 3 ft wide by 6 foot long cages. Looking for ideas to make it chickey friendly. Already got some tips from a Facebook group but open to more suggestions!

Might make good brooder pens for starting chicks....or raising quail.
Would have to add floors and maybe smaller mesh wire for either.
Wouldn't do much for full size adult chickens....just not big enough.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC.

I agree with Aart, with modifications, could be a good setup for chicks, or also as hospital holding pens for a sick or injured chickens. The main issue is the elevation and letting them in and out each day. You would end up chasing chickens trying to let them down and pick them up each day. You would also have to add solid floors or the upper birds will poop on the lower birds! Another thought would be to connect the levels with ramps so the can go from 1 level to another.

Might make good brooder pens for starting chicks....or raising quail.
Would have to add floors and maybe smaller mesh wire for either.
Wouldn't do much for full size adult chickens....just not big enough.

What if I only put them in at night and had a mobile tractor for the yard?

Welcome to BYC.

I agree with Aart, with modifications, could be a good setup for chicks, or also as hospital holding pens for a sick or injured chickens. The main issue is the elevation and letting them in and out each day. You would end up chasing chickens trying to let them down and pick them up each day. You would also have to add solid floors or the upper birds will poop on the lower birds! Another thought would be to connect the levels with ramps so the can go from 1 level to another.

I have already placed removable boards on the wire. And am thinking of doing the ramp idea. I would only have 4 or 5 chickens I think.

Ramps from level to level would seriously decrease the floor space even more.
Moving chickens morning and night would get old really fast.

Try this...
A chicken takes up about as much space as a 5 gal bucket, actually a bit more....and about 3x that when they spread their wings.
Put a few 5 gallon buckets in that cage and you might understand the space being too small.

Last edited:
I don't think it's usable as-is for larger chickens. For really young chickens it could work as three holding pens if you cut the levels apart, or you could just take out the middle boards/mesh, take wire off of the back and lay it down to have a very small chicken run. Adult chickens would be pretty miserable in this no matter how you reconfigure it. You might be better off just taking the whole thing apart and using the materials in a new coop you build. I built a 4' x 4' x 2' high holding pen for my chickens when I first got them, they very quickly outgrew it and then I took it apart and just used the wood as part of the new chicken tractor. Good luck!

I've seen people use similar setups for breeding pens for very small bantams, such as old english game bantams, seramas, etc. Other than that or as brooders, I don't think they are much use for chicken keeping. Even as night time housing, you would want move coverage than just wire, especially chicken wire, since it is outdoors.

If you connect the lower level so the chickens can go outside into a run, you technically have 54 sq ft of floor space (3x6=18 per level, 18x3=54). Subtract 4 ft per ramp (1 ft wide by 4 ft long) and you have 42, enough for 10 chickens max. You would need nesting boxes, you could put 2-3 boxes in one of the levels. You'll have to add roosts, I would put them 3-4 inches off the floor since you only have 2' head room. While I don't think any of us would build a coop of this design, I think it could be used for an unusual coop.

If you connect the lower level so the chickens can go outside into a run, you technically have 54 sq ft of floor space (3x6=18 per level, 18x3=54). Subtract 4 ft per ramp (1 ft wide by 4 ft long) and you have 42, enough for 10 chickens max. You would need nesting boxes, you could put 2-3 boxes in one of the levels. You'll have to add roosts, I would put them 3-4 inches off the floor since you only have 2' head room. While I don't think any of us would build a coop of this design, I think it could be used for an unusual coop.

I'm thinking of removing the wire in between the levels and adding ramps to make roosting areas and on the bottom level under the nesting area put their food and water to protect it from poop.
Yes this would not have been my original plan but since I have it already I may as well use it.

Back
Top Bottom