Suggestions on using a wooden shed as a coop

HeatherTheMommy

Songster
May 14, 2015
Felton DE
Our chicks are still indoors but we have decided to turn our shed into the coop since we have about 15 birds. Any suggestions on easy ways to transform it from a shed to a coop? We already have the run built and covered the top with wired fence to keep out the hawks.

Last edited:

My friend done exactly this... Now trying to remember what she done... The back wall was all nesting boxes from about 1ft off the ground with roosting beam underneath - then a side wall were alternating roosting beams and nesting boxes (so that the birds underneath didn't get a splat from those on top!) She had a section that was storage (food, mite cleaner etc - it was totally boxed in with a padlocked door and a flat top useful for, well, whatever it was needed for. She also had a a bit down low with a couple of nesting boxes caged off from the rest that had access to to outside pre/run but was also sectioned off from the main run so she could use it for broody hens... She would move them down there when they had laid and were broody, and they had an indoor run that then opened to the enclosed outdoor run so that new chicks had their own space with indoor warmth to start and could go out side when ready without total integration into main flock but still so they could see each other so it was easier to let them mix when ready. I think she had a headlamp in that section too.

She popped some big branches in so the birds could access the higher boxes and roosting beams and also have a bit of fun on (especially in the winter in the snow when they didn't want to go out). It's wasn't a huge shed she had but the way she laid it out was brilliant. Ohhhh she also popped trays on top of the nest boxes that had the roosting bars above it for easy cleaning (she done that after the birds moved in to make life easier... She built a wee lip on top of the nest boxes so the trays didn't slip off)

Think that was all she had in it but it was totally awesome and converted it in a weekend.

Good luck. Cannot wait to see the after pictures!!

Scottish Hen

Looks great! I converted a shed into a coop, and it has been great. My shed it 12x16, and the attached run is 15x15. Makes a perfect home for my chickens and ducks.

We repurposed our coop from an old shed, we added windows on either side and a ventilation opening on the back. Inside we built a roost, poopboard, nesting boxes and a grit/oyster shell dispenser. There's and automatic pop door leading to the run. The front half is storage.

Nice shed. It will make a fantastic coop. I'd plan on putting in a couple windows for ventilation and to let in some light. I'd also think about building a wire cage in one corner for feed and supply storage. Fifteen birds will need no more than 4-5 nest boxes. I'd put them along one wall--maybe the back wall with the pop door on it. Place the roosts opposite so they don't have to walk under the roost (and through the poop) to get to the nest boxes otherwise you'll end up with dirty eggs. Have you decided if you want poop boards or will you do deep litter method and just let the poop fall to the floor to mix with the bedding? That will make a difference in how and where you might lay things out. Is it a wood floor? You might want to lay down some scrap linoleum to make clean outs easier.

Yes it is a wooden floor. My husband is planning on putting down linoliam(sp?) To make cleaning easier. We have 12 hens (supposedly) 1 rooster, 2 guinea hens and 5 ducks. Anythung special we should do for the ducks? We plan to move them outside soon even tho they arent fully feathered but will put a heating lamp out there because they are getting to bug to be kept inside.

Consider separate housing for the ducks! Add lots of ventilation, and big windows, especially on the south side. Every opening covered in hardware cloth, well secured. Add hardware cloth to the run fencing too. Mary

Back
Top Bottom