Suggestions on what is wrong with this chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cchuba, Dec 3, 2010.

1. cchuba

cchuba New Egg

Dec 3, 2010
    I have seven 2 1/2 week old Bantam Ameraucanas. I'm afraid one of them is sick. She looks to be cold, fluffed up, and very close to herself, resembling when a bird is getting ready to go to sleep. She is not as alert as the others, but is eating, drinking, and being social. Her stool is normal with cecal stool here or there. She appeared to be perfectly healthy until late last night. The brooder is currently at 86 degrees F. I'm currently switching them over from a non-medicated feed to a medicated feed, per suggestion from the friend that I got them from (he gave me the eggs from his Bantam Ameraucanas, said to switch them over from feeds when they hit 2 weeks because his normally got sick from the medicated feed if it was given to them before 2 weeks). Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with this chick? I suspect a cold, but maybe something more serious?

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Coccidiosis comes to mind first. You need Corid. Medicated feed won't cure it if they have it, only helps to prevent it. Get Corid for their water pronto, and mix dry milk into their feed in the meantime to buy a bit of time while you get the Corid.

Good luck!

3. cchuba

cchuba New Egg

Dec 3, 2010
    Alright, thanks. If it ends up that coccidiosis isn't the case, will mixing Corid in their water harm them?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I agree with ChooksChick. The Corid never harmed any of my surviving chickens when I had to treat for coccidiosis twice (it's in the cattle section of the farm store).

Here is additional information: scroll down to view the moderator's dosage information
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=93210

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/coccidiosis.html

You are describing the usual age for coccidiosis, the usual symptoms, and you don't have to have bloody poo for it to be coccidiosis.

Additionally, you should see improvement within 24 hours with bloody poo (which I know you don't have) after starting Corid. I don't know about the lethargy, since my one that was exhibiting lethargy died the day after starting the Corid. She had symptoms a few days at least before I started the Corid. I treated her too late.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/corid-9-6-oral-solution.html
    This is what the label will say. Some places have the powder, and that's fine too.

Also, my coccidiosis outbreak occurred RIGHT after I switched them over from medicated feed to homemixed seeds.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  5. cchuba

cchuba New Egg

Dec 3, 2010
    I added Corid to their water. The suspect chick does not want to drink. I'm dipping her beak every couple of minutes, but nothing. Is there any way to promote her to drink?

6. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:Some folks will use an eye dropper or syringe to put water in the side of the beak. I tried dipping the beak of my silkie that was sick with it, and got her to drink some.

Just be careful to not make her aspirate.

Once they stop drinking, if you can't get water in them, they are goners. Also for food, you might try to feed her scrambled egg or plain yogurt to stimulate her appetite.

7. cchuba

cchuba New Egg

Dec 3, 2010
    Thank you for all the help. The sick chick is looking much better now (still huddling to herself sometimes, but not often) and is feeling a lot better. When would it be alright to put her back in the brooder with the other chicks? She's been on Corid for 4 days (since Dec. 03), and the brooder with the other chicks has had Corid in the water for the same duration.

8. ChickensAreSweet

Quote:I never separate chicks for coccidiosis when all are being treated. But maybe that's wrong! So, I don't know what to tell you. I know that when they are battling it, the poo is VERY contagious.

Hopefully someone else will know.

9. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I don't separate unless the little weak one is being picked on since the whole clutch/group is being treated.

10. marquisella

marquisella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Chicks can only pick up coccidiosis when they are on the floor/dirt where adult chickens have been previously.

If your brooder is not on a floor like that, then it can't be cocci.

Sometimes, chicks just don't do well, its called failure to thrive. If that is it, there is nothing you can do.

Sue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by