Suggestions to cover a gap?

For me I just wouldn't sweat it unless you are feeding inside the coop. Rats and snakes are only a threat to chicks or feed spillage. But that is just me you have it nice and professional looking now and for my situation secure enough.

I would be more interested in seeing the inside of that coop as you are up north and I suspect you need more venting to prevent condensation in the winter months. @aart might have eye better eye than I do for your needs.

Amazon is nice but your big box stores carry the same and you can be done the same day purchase it. What I would do is remove the zip ties from the end in question slide the flashing under the hardware cloth, the flashing is easy to pierce so you can install zip ties through small slits in you make in it and presto you have a rodent resistance run.
Ahh, that makes sense. I will go take a look at some flashing today. I always start with my local hardware store, then head to the big box if needed. (Though I got a good deal on the hardware cloth online.) I appreciate the ideas!

For me I just wouldn't sweat it unless you are feeding inside the coop. Rats and snakes are only a threat to chicks or feed spillage. But that is just me you have it nice and professional looking now and for my situation secure enough.

I would be more interested in seeing the inside of that coop as you are up north and I suspect you need more venting to prevent condensation in the winter months.
Thanks! Yes, I am planning to keep feed in the outside space where the gap is. It's a rodent resistant feeder, but nothing is perfect, right?

Eglus are small and designed for roosting and nesting, that's all. So I am treating the attached small run as part of the coop by weather proofing it. Yes, I'm concerned about the ventilation but have yet to hear from anyone it's an issue. I will watch closely. There will also be an attached 6' x 9' walk in run.

See link below...scroll down to get a look at the interior.

https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken_keeping/eglu_cube/

Thanks! Yes, I am planning to keep feed in the outside space where the gap is. It's a rodent resistant feeder, but nothing is perfect, right?

Eglus are small and designed for roosting and nesting, that's all. So I am treating the attached small run as part of the coop by weather proofing it. Yes, I'm concerned about the ventilation but have yet to hear from anyone it's an issue. I will watch closely. There will also be an attached 6' x 9' walk in run.

See link below...scroll down to get a look at the interior.

https://www.omlet.co.uk/shop/chicken_keeping/eglu_cube/
Ok I eyeballed it(watched the video) and it is really lacking in the ventilation department to my eye for CT winter. The brits have such milder winters than the NE US. I also can't imagine that holding 10 chicken as their video was suggesting. It is a great system otherwise loads of good ideas built into it. It would be an ideal isolation or broody coop for me, but for long term flock maintenance it would not work for me. Of course I also have chicken roosting in my trees now.

Last edited:
I'm back with an update. I found 10' roll of flashing and was able to make grommets to secure it to the hardware cloth. Works GREAT! I know this is a bit obsessive, but as some folks know I'm unemployed right now (thanks to Covid-19). So I've got time on my hands. See pics below.

As for the size/ventilation. I have four hens coming and think that's about the maximum size the coop can handle. (I never believe what the manufacturers say.) If needed, I can play around with the door opening if more ventilation is needed. If I have to go that route, I'll reach out for your great ideas again! Thanks!

Gap solution 1.jpg
Gap solution 2.jpg

Nicely done! I do like that little coop though and its simplicity plus features. I do not like the pricing on it. Nor trust they properly UV stabilized for my Texas sun since it is a brit manufacturer. Did you get the anti dig skirt as well? I can see that as a valuable isolation or growout coop.

Nicely done! I do like that little coop though and its simplicity plus features. I do not like the pricing on it. Nor trust they properly UV stabilized for my Texas sun since it is a brit manufacturer. Did you get the anti dig skirt as well? I can see that as a valuable isolation or growout coop.
Thanks! I learned a lot from my rental hens this summer. I decided to invest in the Eglu primarily for its design--good for the birds and the humans. After ordering it, I realized it would need predator reinforcement. Yes, an additional investment for hardware cloth. Eglus come with the predator skirt, and I plan to lay down a layer of hardware cloth under the coop and run. I got a delivery of wood chips free from my town so I can have deep litter. Also got a free tire from a local tire shop to create an all-season dust bath. This is a fun project that keeps my mind engaged in something both challenging and life-affirming during this strange time. I appreciate everyone's input and support. BYC has been a lifeline!

Back
Top Bottom