Suitable Companion for lone African goose

LeBlackbird

Songster
10 Years
Aug 17, 2009
SE Pennsylvania
Hello! I have a very sweet female african goose who is all by her lonesome. I had another african, but the individual I had placed in charge of caring for my fowl while I was on vacation failed to put the birds away at night in a timely manner and she disappeared. I am very close to my geese and will not be making that mistake again. I am looking into getting a friend for her. I have a couple of questions! Do greylag-type geese make suitable companions for swan-type geese? are they very different? I've only ever had africans and only ever had females. If I ended up with a gander, would he hound my single female too much? Do you have a personal preference, greylag or swan? Thanks in advance!

Hello! I have a very sweet female african goose who is all by her lonesome. I had another african, but the individual I had placed in charge of caring for my fowl while I was on vacation failed to put the birds away at night in a timely manner and she disappeared. I am very close to my geese and will not be making that mistake again. I am looking into getting a friend for her. I have a couple of questions! Do greylag-type geese make suitable companions for swan-type geese? are they very different? I've only ever had africans and only ever had females. If I ended up with a gander, would he hound my single female too much? Do you have a personal preference, greylag or swan? Thanks in advance!
I am so sorry for your loss. I can only vouch for my geese and I don't have African but love the breed. I have 3 different breeds Toulouse American and Emden 2 ganders two females they are a loving goose family they are not like ducks they do not breed rough like ducks can and they form very strong bonds. So I think if you got a gander your goose would eventually form a bond with him, or would be happy with a female It will take time for introductions since she had another female for a companion before. If you don't want goslings then I'd go with another female because during breeding season gander can get very ornery [protective] If you want gosling then you'll have to put up with his Dr. Jeykell and Mr. Hyde personality it's just part of his DNA. lol. If you decide on goslings more than likely she'll adopt them as her own just do another slow intro before giving them to her.

Geese are geese and they all pretty much get along! They're just like dogs!

I love the greylag type geese, and ive bought two geese (Toulouse and Embden) from a mixed flock, they had African and Chinese in the mix and they seemed to get along fine!

I am so sorry for your loss. I can only vouch for my geese and I don't have African but love the breed. I have 3 different breeds Toulouse American and Emden 2 ganders two females they are a loving goose family they are not like ducks they do not breed rough like ducks can and they form very strong bonds. So I think if you got a gander your goose would eventually form a bond with him, or would be happy with a female It will take time for introductions since she had another female for a companion before. If you don't want goslings then I'd go with another female because during breeding season gander can get very ornery [protective] If you want gosling then you'll have to put up with his Dr. Jeykell and Mr. Hyde personality it's just part of his DNA. lol. If you decide on goslings more than likely she'll adopt them as her own just do another slow intro before giving them to her.

Geese are geese and they all pretty much get along! They're just like dogs!

I love the greylag type geese, and ive bought two geese (Toulouse and Embden) from a mixed flock, they had African and Chinese in the mix and they seemed to get along fine!

thank you both for the speedy replies! phew, I'm relieved they aren't as violent as the ducks! I only keep drakes in 1 to 4 or 1 to 5 groups because of how crazy some of my males have been with my females! I think I can handle a grumpy gander, having goslings sounds adorable! My remaining goose has never been broody or anything like that so I have no idea if she would go that route but I would love little babies running around. Do they easily hybridize? Either way I'll be ordering straight run, so it will be up to fate! I've been looking at American, Embden, Saddleback Pomeranian, Pilgrim, and White Chinese geese

No, geese do not "hybridize" because they are the same species. Like I said, they are like dogs. :) Hybrids happen when two different species mate like lions and tigers, zebras and horses, etc.

Remember, goose is a species, Pomeranian, Toulouse, Embden, etc are breeds.

If you buy goslings your female will more than likely adopt them and raise them as her own!

thank you both for the speedy replies! phew, I'm relieved they aren't as violent as the ducks! I only keep drakes in 1 to 4 or 1 to 5 groups because of how crazy some of my males have been with my females! I think I can handle a grumpy gander, having goslings sounds adorable! My remaining goose has never been broody or anything like that so I have no idea if she would go that route but I would love little babies running around. Do they easily hybridize? Either way I'll be ordering straight run, so it will be up to fate! I've been looking at American, Embden, Saddleback Pomeranian, Pilgrim, and White Chinese geese
Yes they easily hybridize. When we brought home 2 goslings for our pair Toulouse/Embden I took the goslings out every day for 3 weeks I was overly protective probably but I didn't want them trampled, at 3 weeks my pair got the goslings and They have been inseparable ever since. Are you sure you have a female African? You didn't say she doesn't lay eggs so she must be female. Hard to believe she hasn't gone broody though. Nice list you have there. Let us know what you decide on.

No, geese do not "hybridize" because they are the same species. Like I said, they are like dogs.
smile.png
Hybrids happen when two different species mate like lions and tigers, zebras and horses, etc.

Remember, goose is a species, Pomeranian, Toulouse, Embden, etc are breeds.

If you buy goslings your female will more than likely adopt them and raise them as her own!
Actually, the two different types of geese are derived from two different species
big_smile.png
Chinese and African geese are derived from Anser cygnoides, the swan goose. All other breeds of geese are derived from Anser anser, the Greylag goose. So when they cross, I believe they produce an infertile "mule" hybrid goose

Yes they easily hybridize. When we brought home 2 goslings for our pair Toulouse/Embden I took the goslings out every day for 3 weeks I was overly protective probably but I didn't want them trampled, at 3 weeks my pair got the goslings and They have been inseparable ever since. Are you sure you have a female African? You didn't say she doesn't lay eggs so she must be female. Hard to believe she hasn't gone broody though. Nice list you have there. Let us know what you decide on.
Yes she's laid eggs for us, not many though! She laid maybe 4 last year, she's turning 2 this spring. I have a picture of her first egg (I was surprised by how big they were) somewhere around here but I'd have to find it. Unless she was hiding them from me, she free ranges during the day and returns to the coop at night. She's never sat though, I didn't know this was unusual for them but that's very interesting to find out

Actually, the two different types of geese are derived from two different species
big_smile.png
Chinese and African geese are derived from Anser cygnoides, the swan goose. All other breeds of geese are derived from Anser anser, the Greylag goose. So when they cross, I believe they produce an infertile "mule" hybrid goose
I am not up on terms but I was thinking Hybridize was when to different breeds crossed. I am pretty sure Canada goose who breeds with domestic produce sterile goslings.

Actually, the two different types of geese are derived from two different species :D  Chinese and African geese are derived from Anser cygnoides, the swan goose. All other breeds of geese are derived from Anser anser, the Greylag goose. So when they cross, I believe they produce an infertile "mule" hybrid goose

Were you not talking about the greylags? You said you were thinking of Poms, Buff, etc. I thought you were asking if THEY would "hybridize"?

Back
Top Bottom