sulky chicken

karen m

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 19, 2011
Pleas can someone help, one of my girls {Martha} has been very quiet and sulky this morning, i have 4 point of lay hens which seem happy and have the run of the garden, last night they where all fine and running around together, but this morning Martha seems really sad
sad.png
......i cant tell if she is unwell or is this normal behaviour:/ I hope someone can advice me....thankyou

No, it's not normal behavior. It's most likely a sign that something is wrong. First of all, I'd check to see if the bird is eggbound. After that, check to see if their are respiratory problems, intestinal problems, that sort of thing.

Emergency first aid when you can't diagnose the specific problem is heat, water with electrolytes, and antibiotics.

If you have followup questions, you should post them on the illnesses/diseases/emergency forum, as you'll be more likely to get answers there.

Good luck, I hope Martha is ok.

Thankyou for your reply, my husband has gone to get someone from a near by farm to have a look at her for me, i'm worried now, i hope she is only egg bound, i will keep you posted.xx

Just wanted to update on Martha.....after lots of wonderful advice Martha is lots better this morning, pecking the "proper" chicken feed with the other girls and drinking lots of water. I gave her a little oats so simple last night and i put some olive oil around her vent, she tottled off to bed well before the other girls last night, and this morning she is back to normal, i am keeping my eye on her still though. x x x

Back
Top Bottom