sulmet dosage?

Quote:
ReallY? Gee I dont want to start a small fire? Are they safe? Man I wouldnt want to be out in that cold, pooor little guys.

Are they in a coop, or like a wire cage covered with tarps? If you could post a pic of where they are that would help. I will probably have to have heat lamps on my Silkies all winter long as it gets very very cold here in NY. Or you could probably use a heat lamp half that size, but I havent seen them.

I am going out now to turn the heater on for a while and then set up some big bulbs later when I can get to the store. Feel free to leave anymore suggestions I NEED them I will check back when I come back in.

Quote:
ReallY? Gee I dont want to start a small fire? Are they safe? Man I wouldnt want to be out in that cold, pooor little guys.

Are they in a coop, or like a wire cage covered with tarps? If you could post a pic of where they are that would help. I will probably have to have heat lamps on my Silkies all winter long as it gets very very cold here in NY. Or you could probably use a heat lamp half that size, but I havent seen them.

O Gosh we are posting at the same time... I got some shipping crates and I cut a large hole, like the whole front of the wooden box off and put wire on the front. So I have one wooden box with an open front that is 4ft X 2 1/2 ft and is 3 ft tall for 7 silkies with a light bulb in it. The whole front is wire.

Last edited:
When a bird is chilled (wo when temps are not ideal) their entire system is geared first to keeping warm... when they are ill the first thing you should do is get them in (ideally) an adequately warm, temp stable and draft free situation which is not dry or dusty (this hampers a birds immune system).
This simple measure can make a world of difference when a bird is fighting off illness.

Kris, if I'm understanding correctly, you have adult birds in the same area, divided only be wire mesh, and you are only treating the juveniles? If the adults are NOT ill, you need to move them to some place they will not have close access to the sick ones. Are you sure they have Cocci? Are you seeing red poops?

OK I am setting up a cage now for the Silkies to come inside and then I will put the leghorns in the smaller box that the silkies are in. I have the heater on now, but cant keep it on. I will need a lamp of sorts.

How good is Baycox? Should I order it? It is $25 plus shipping.

I am almost positive it is cocci, and after I get them situated for warmth, then the adults wont be near the little ones. I . Well it just turned into winter here overnite which didnt help matters any.
hmm.png

Yes they have cocci poops.

Last edited:
Baycox is excellent for cocci though I had read it was not available in the USA (pm me your source?)

Sounds like you've got a good handle on thing, Kris! GOOD LUCK - I know what you mean, I'm in Michigan, and I had to scrape windows this a.m. I've got a sick one in the barn now, and I'm moving the heat lamp down lower & lower to keep her warm. She's in an old horse trough, with solid sides, so no breeze, which should help.

If you are able to get Baycox, please let us all know where you got it!

I had what I THINK was Cocci in some young ones this past spring; I used Sulmet and it worked really well, and was inexpensive, and a short course of treatment.

I hope your babes are feeling better soon!
smile.png

I wouldn't be able to do much of anything with out your suggestions and moral support. Thanks

I am checking on baycox and I will let you know what I find out Diana.

Back
Top Bottom