sulmet v. Aureomycin

lizO

Chirping
14 Years
May 13, 2008
hey: are these 2 things the same stuff? i've a bag of Aureomycin, (been open for a year) and i see a lot of references to "Aureomycin Sulmet" on google.....
thanks, LizO

No, they are not the same. Sulmet is sodium sulfamethazine (a sulfa drug). Aureomycin is chlortetracycline bisulfate (a tetracycline). Aureomycin Sulmet is both drugs together.

Thank you! any reason not to use the combo for suspected coccidiosis? also, since you clearly know more than i do.... i have a package of aureomycin from last year that was opened and has hardened, even in a ziplock bag. is it useless? i scraped off enough to start treatment today because it looks like i have to mail order new stuff, and that will take 2-3 days.

In most cases dealing with anitbiotics, only using it when necessary is best. That said, since it is a mix, make sure there is a high enough concentration of the sulmet in the mix to acutally get the job of killing cocci done. Cocci is a protozoa, not a bacteria, which means the aureomycin half of it will probably just make a few resistant bacteria and not do anything for the cocci protozoa.

If you can drop by a feed store and get just sulmet or amprolium to treat the cocci alone, and use it at the recomended concentration on the bottle, that would be ideal. But use what you have if you must in the mean itme because cocci is a pretty quick killer when blood shows up in the stools.

ugh, thanks so much. no one around here seems to have sulmet, but i haven't looked for amprolium. i'll call around tomorrow and order the sulmet now.

Corrid is the usual brand for amprolium. There is also amprol, which I believe is a slightly different formulation than corrid. Both will treat coccidiosis. There are some otehr sulfa drugs that treat coccidiosis. Tell them that you are looking for a medicine that treats coccidiosis--it affects many animals, so a feed store is almost certain to have some medicine that is appropriate.

Aureomycin is not the same as aureomycin sulmet; the first contains only aureomycin, the later as was mentioned contains both. Aureomycin will do nothing for coccidiosis. A heavy dose of apple cider vinegar in the water is a better stop gap measure until you can get a coccidiostat than aureomycin.

i found some corid out in the country today. now. i've given them 2 days of aureomycin. do you think i should finish a course of that and then switch to corid? Different sources have suggested different courses for the aureo., from 3-6 days. what do you think? they are otherwise asymptomatic, and overnight poops looked better. Also, do you know dosage for hens for 9.6% corid to 1 gal. water?

thank you SOOOO much.

liz

Quote:
My bottle says of Corid says 16 oz. per 100 gal and have that as their only source of drinking water for 5 days (at least). So for 1 gallon it would be 0.16 oz, which is about 1/6 of an oz. Since an oz. is 2 Tablespoons, and a Tablespoon is 3 Teaspoons, that means that ONE oz. is 6 Teaspoons. So 1/6 of an oz. would be ONE Teaspoon. Make sense?
wink.png

So one Teaspoon of Corid per gallon of water. If they aren't drinking the water, they won't be getting the Corid down them, you may have to go to a drench application (squirt or dribble a more concentrated mix down their throat).

If you tell me how many birds you are trying to treat, and about how much they weigh, I can do the drench calculations for you. See if they drink first - I think I read somewhere that each full-grown chicken should be drinking 1/2 to 1 cup of water per day. If it doesn't look like they are all at least drinking 1/2 cup, and the water level in your waterer isn't going down, you may need to drench. Even if your water level is going down, I don't think it would hurt to give a little extra to the sickest hen(s) as a drench. So tell me how many birds and weight and I'll calculate for you.

Back
Top Bottom