1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sultan?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by and-roo, Mar 2, 2013.

1. and-roo

and-roo Chillin' With My Peeps

i got a sultan hen a few months ago and i was wondering a couple of things about her. she has everything a sultan should have, a crest, a beard, vulture hocks and feathers on her feet. but she doesnt have a v-shaped comb, she has some other type of comb. what do you think?

[​IMG]

this isnt the actual color of her feathers it was just wet :

[​IMG]
    see the comb?

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    does she also have 5 toes? looks like a hatchery sultain

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    She is still a cute Sultan even if she doesn't exactly meet breed standards. I have ordered chicks from the hatcheries that wouldn't be show quality, but I love them anyhow.

4. and-roo

yes she has 5 toes and i bought her from a lady off of craigslist who hatched her from some eggs she got from ebay.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  5. and-roo

if anyone is still there, what is the difference between a hatchery sultan and a purebred sultan?

6. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    Hatchery quality chickens usually do not meet the breed standards, having faults or disqualifications. Hatcheries breed for quantity, not quality, and often characteristics of the breed degrade, such as developing improper combs, not enough foot feathering or crests in breeds that have them, and sometimes having the wrong color skin. A hatchery chicken may be purebred, but is often a poor example of the breed. That doesn't mean they don't make wonderful pets, though! I have some hatchery wyandottes who are some of the friendliest birds I have and who lay well for me. They won't win any shows, but they're fine for my farm.

7. and-roo

thanx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by