Sumatra Chicken flying

I've raised Sumatras for over 15 years, and yes they can fly very well. I've had some fly straight up 10 feet or more when spooked and fly over a quarter mile before coming down.
Really? Gosh I think I might just get some in the future just to see if they can actually fly lol.

Well, yesterday would be a good example. Looked out my kitchen window in time to see a coyote chasing my hens around the front yard. Two of the hens are pure game hens, and another is half game chicken, but is built like the game hen who is her mother. Anyway, those hens took off flying to the trees like bullets. The half game hen flew around the side of my house with the coyote jumping up trying to grab her in mid air. By that time I was out the door with the dogs, yelling. Coyotes sure can disappear quick. So far, all three of my girls are ok, but it's time to start thinking about a real coop and run.
Forgot to add. The coyote had killed all of my non game hens previously. I had 16. They just can't get away quick enough. Shouldn't have to, though. I should have protected them better.
I feel like game hens are more closely related to their wild cousin the "Red Jungle Fowl". Just how their body is built and how the hen still has the min comb like how a rjf hen would have. I'll be surprise if they weren't able to fly far or good.

Most light breeds of chickens can get some air and glide. My Appenzeller go up 20 feet to the rafters of their shed to roost. I haven't been around to watch them come down, though I expect it's a good glide.

Most light breeds of chickens can get some air and glide. My Appenzeller go up 20 feet to the rafters of their shed to roost. I haven't been around to watch them come down, though I expect it's a good glide.
Of course lol. But I was just really curious because they keep saying that the sumatra can fly better than all chickens.

Back
Top Bottom