Sumatra Thread!

Pics
head roo Sammy. Most definately the father to most of my offspring.

IMGP1175-1-1.jpg

He was a little over a year old here.

I picked up a second Black pullet today to put with my Platinum cockerel, I'll be adding a light to their coop this week, hoping that it will jumpstart production and I can then start setting eggs in the bator.

My new pullet is a bit rounder than the first, she has great yellow feet. Her head is shaped a bit differently than both of my other Sumatras. I'm excited to see how their offspring turn out.
smile.png

Quote:
Wow,reading the Sumatra project bird info on here makes me wish I had gotten a good picture of the Black Sumatra I just placed that had deep red mahoghany leakage.

I would have liked to have posted his picture on here as he had deep pigment and yellow feet.

yep a mahogony based one would have been a good base bird for me in what I'm doing, wish you had a pic....I'll get them there in a few years though.
will have the full color in 2 years.
The F1's will obviously just be black or blue, but the following year the colored ones will come out, then I can back breed and repeat the process til they get back to proper type...will be fun. I enjoy a good project. Got 30- or 40 going in various other breeds already. I worry with the standard only when it comes to type, I could care less what "THEY" say color should be...after all, someone has to make a new color before they will recognize it.

I'm producing my sumatra not to be compare with the america standard of perfection, I am breeding simply to make them look like the germany sumatra with a wild looking I also wanna add more gameness and dont get me wrong I dont pitt them.
As I mentioned I want to produce more pheasant looking birds And of course this line will not be call sumatra chickens.
maybe Texas Pheasant
smile.png
JUST KIDING.
I will refer to them as Sumatra Pheasant of course.

all my respect to you and your birds.
knowing how much time,effort and money this projects take

Quote:
Do you have any pictures of German Sumatras? I'd love to see them if you do. I'm thinking about starting with Sumatras next year. Oriental gamefowl are my passion, but I am starting to wonder if the extra care (and extra cash) involved may not be up my alley right now. A more practical bird that isn't entirely game might suit me better. Sumatras seem to be the closest thing I can find to a non-game Oriental. I've considered Saipan Jungle Fowl, but they're so darn hard to come by.
hmm.png
Let me know if you hear of anyone who breeds them.
smile.png

~Gresh~

a friend of mine has a few actual imports from there, they are massive and have a higher tail than ours do, well at least hers did...very beautiful birds though.
That's the funny thing about sumatras, just as that book listed a few post back says, there are several "styles" of them. The show standard calls for one thing, but these others are still just as much sumatra as they are, just from different regions. Main difference is tail design that I have seen.

stolen picture not mine cockerel.

59337_germany_sumatra.jpg

some of my previous project
that I gave away to a friend
59337_2010-12-19_095203.jpg

59337_shamocross.jpg

you can find better picture by g00gle
Wannda Zwart sumatras .
she had some of those lines.

I have Khaki Sumatra eggs coming!
woot.gif

I have Khaki Sumatra eggs coming!