Sumatra Thread!

ok the best place to go to is a hatchery. I the best hatchery I have ever used is my pet chicken it is a great hatchery you can order as much as three chicks. I have tied the other hatcheries. NEVER DO ideal hatchery because when I got my chicks they looked horrible and started to die off one after another I know it was not me because as soon as I gave them some antbiotics they started acting better and now they are doing fine.

ok the best place to go to is a hatchery. I the best hatchery I have ever used is my pet chicken it is a great hatchery you can order as much as three chicks. I have tied the other hatcheries. NEVER DO ideal hatchery because when I got my chicks they looked horrible and started to die off one after another I know it was not me because as soon as I gave them some antbiotics they started acting better and now they are doing fine.
From what I've heard, my pet chicken isn't a hatchery and they get their birds from multiple hatcheries. I hope that makes sense. Ideals birds have always done well for me in the past. I've even won a few best of shows with their Sumatras. You can also order pullets instead of straight run. But most of theirs are pet quality.

Thanks for the information about both places! I will check out my pet chicken.

o ok glad you found them, so what does AOSB and all mean?
big_smile.png
So AOSB stands for All other Standard Breed. The American poultry Association classes poultry into groups they call classes. Large Fowl are pretty much based on where the poultry originated. so the classes are American, Asiatic, English, Mediteranian, Continental, and All Other, So like American would have Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, Delaware and so on.. All Other Standard Breed has Ameraucans, Araucanas, Aseels, Cubalaya. Malay, Games, Naked Necks, Sumatras Sultans and a couple others,
Bantams are easier they have Games, both Modern and Old English, then they break it up into more what the bird has, Like if its Single Comb Clean Legged, Rose Comb Clean Legged, or All Other Comb Clean Legged, or Feather Legged. There is also, Duck, bantam, light, medium and heavy and Goose,Turkey and Guinea
So when you show, you can get a placing for Cock, Hen Cockerel and Pullet like 1st,,2nd 3rd, and so on then then the birds go for BV which is best of variety, so like blue, black, golden, then you have a chance for BB Best of Breed, If you win that, then it goes on to Best of Class, so they will chose a bird from each of the Classes, then they compete for Best Large Fowl, Best Bantam and Best Waterfowl and from them they compete for Best in Show.
Hope this helps,

Pet quality please:)
I have ordered chicks from McMurray in the past, they have all arrived healthy and do great. I have ordered a wide range of birds from them because they have some rare breeds as well, The wyandottes and Leghorns have always been a great production bird for me from them, I get LOTS of eggs, there Easter Eggers seem to be some of the best layers ever. As far as Sumatras, they would be excellent pet quality they have pretty decent type, super nice combs and dark faces from what I have seen, but males are usually single spurred and sometimes have bronzing in the hackle, hens have been good layers though. Had a 4-H that ordered some Buff Laced Polish from there about 8 or 9 years ago and actually the offspring from his originals did extremely well at APA shows for him. After he got out of them though and gave them to a different 4-Her, she wasn't as picky about what she kept and bred and they went south quick. But I have always been happy with them as a hatchery and the chicks are healthy and active, I think after April you only have to order 15 chicks instead of 25 for shipping. Good Luck with whoever you go with, Sumatras are awesome!

So AOSB stands for All other Standard Breed. The American poultry Association classes poultry into groups they call classes. Large Fowl are pretty much based on where the poultry originated. so the classes are American, Asiatic, English, Mediteranian, Continental, and All Other, So like American would have Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth Rocks, Delaware and so on.. All Other Standard Breed has Ameraucans, Araucanas, Aseels, Cubalaya. Malay, Games, Naked Necks, Sumatras Sultans and a couple others,
Bantams are easier they have Games, both Modern and Old English, then they break it up into more what the bird has, Like if its Single Comb Clean Legged, Rose Comb Clean Legged, or All Other Comb Clean Legged, or Feather Legged. There is also, Duck, bantam, light, medium and heavy and Goose,Turkey and Guinea
So when you show, you can get a placing for Cock, Hen Cockerel and Pullet like 1st,,2nd 3rd, and so on then then the birds go for BV which is best of variety, so like blue, black, golden, then you have a chance for BB Best of Breed, If you win that, then it goes on to Best of Class, so they will chose a bird from each of the Classes, then they compete for Best Large Fowl, Best Bantam and Best Waterfowl and from them they compete for Best in Show.
Hope this helps,

Wow that is very helpful!:) I am showing my Sumatras and some other breeds of mine on the 19th in Rhode Island. Now it wont all be giberish to me...if I remember this of course haha Thanks!!

Hope this helps,
thanks for the run down

Back
Top Bottom