Sumatra Thread!

Just wait for her to decide when it's time to sit on the eggs. She might even lay another 6-8 eggs and then decide to sit on them.

My bantam sumatra hen only sat when there was 11 eggs. So I would just wait for more eggs.

My bantam hen does this odd thing where she will be walking around the yard by herself and then just chirping like she has chicks.

I'm excited in 2 days I'm of to England to see my dad, but first I have to get through 2 more days of exams.

My bantam sumatra hen only sat when there was 11 eggs. So I would just wait for more eggs.

My bantam hen does this odd thing where she will be walking around the yard by herself and then just chirping like she has chicks.

I'm excited in 2 days I'm of to England to see my dad, but first I have to get through 2 more days of exams.

Thank you Troyer and Ralph, I will wait, luckily I have a Japanese whose eggs are brown compared to the white Sumatra eggs so I am putting them in the nest too. Once we get a sitter I'm going to get them out, but it will help the eggs collect faster. I just worry about how long the eggs can sit in there in the FL heat....
Ralph good luck on those exams!

Last edited:
Question for all the natural breeders out there. Hoping my sumatra hen will incubate and hatch her own chicks. She was really broody before getting her rooster mate And for a short while after. But she has stopped acting like that. Now we have four eggs in her nest and no activity on her part. Should I be concerned or wait till there's more eggs?
Don't worry yet, my hens typically wait till there are about 9 - 15 eggs in the nest then go broody, usually they are really great setters and mothers, maybe she has decided since she has a good man she wants lots of kids ;)

Off to England tomorrow, I'm very excited. it will be nice to see my dad after 5 or 6 months. The foxes at my dads are terrible, a Friend of my dads got a trap for foxes and caught 25 foxes in 2 months. The foxes killed all of my dads chicken, he had a beautiful golden campine i gave him but that got eaton along with the legbars appenzellas and araucanas. so me and my brother will be helping him choose some more of the breeds he lost. But i think we would have to search for years to find a Campine as good as the one that my dad had.

But i still have to get through one more day of exams, i have a Tg, Geography and Science exam left.

I know they need some more work, but figured I'd show some of the brown red bantam sumatra. These are the ones we were all talking about a month or two back... I just been lazy and havent really had much picture taking time til Monday.

I like 'em at least... couple more years of refining and I think they'll look darn good, all ready 3-4 spured too. They were not happy at all about me being in the pen with a camera, they are fine with a feed bucket but if any of you have taken many bird pics you'll know they always want to freak out when you start pointing something at just 1 trying for a good pic haha... They're only about 9 months old right now, but man they are going to be tiny!

did you make these or are they from a breeder?
I put my girl in with my yokohama trio and so far have 3 babies! all silver and gold except one who is darker than the rest hardly any white other than on the belly and wing tips. anyone else have a Sumatra cross that came out nice?

Back
Top Bottom