Sumatra Thread!

Well darn I wish I had been checking this thread. I bet all the eggs are duds now! I was told a fellow 4H mom to refrigerate them up to 30 days. But no mention of turning them..back to the drawing board...

I'm guessing that was a bigg miscommunication between how to handle "eating eggs" and fertile hatching eggs:( I usually keep them right on the counter and 7 days is the general expectation for fertility

I was videotaped for three days straight at our big show here in CA, plus probably like 8 or 9 interviews that were usually three hours or so long... I have won Old English classes of 450 birds as a sixteen year old. My Cubalayas were praised at a national by the breeder/judge that I bought a cock from four years ago. I don't consider a reputation when showing, because honestly it doesn't make a difference to me. The little kids in the state hate me, but they are not into it as much as I and breed maybe 20 chicks a year.

All I can say is keep breeding to the exact standard, not a revised version. Buy a scale. Keep track of how the weights are changing as they mature, and get a bird that feels solid in the hand, but doesn't weigh more than half a pound over standard. As a "reputable breeder" you should go to what the standard says, not to what someone else tells you, regardless of title. It was written by Sumatra breeders, just like you wish to be, so continue the heritage of the breed, don't change it.
the kids in NJ,PA,NY,DE and MD have a thing against my sister and I too. We have won a lot of open wins and showmanship awards like our reserve game with 100 old English and reserve FL with 152 birds!!!

At first most of the chicken breeders completely ignored me and my family but ones I started breeding better birds and winning with them in the junior and in the open shows them that is when they started to respect me.To me hateing someone for winning is not good sportsmanship. I am sorry to hear that they would hate you guys over something like that. But keep on doing what you are doing.

Last edited:
At first most of the chicken breeders completely ignored me and my family but ones I started breeding better birds and winning with them in the junior and in the open shows them that is when they started to respect me.To me hateing someone for winning is not good sportsmanship. I am sorry to hear that they would hate you guys over something like that. But keep on doing what you are doing.
i don't care what people think of me i am friends with lots of top breeders and i have fun also i am open to selling stock to new fanciers so if they want to say things about my birds let them all I care about is how top breeders,judges and myself feel about my birds and so far it has been very positive!

Yes same here all my close friends are top leghorn, Sumatra, Shamo, old English, phoenix, polish, and silky breeders. I have so much fun at the shows too even if I don't win anything. Winning is really nice but learning something new is really great to me. And you know at school I am hated for likening chickens. but you know what I say to them: if you don't like the fact that I love chickens that is to bad because I love chickens and there is nothing you can do about it. And it works:)

At school people like to mock me for liking chicken. so depending on who's mocking I tell them to F-off. Any way it's better than playing Xbox all day. It's constructive as well.

Also 12 eggs on the nest.

And my Sussex are getting big, and my RIR is growing. not to long until they will be breeding.

I asked about the Cochins(as broodies) earlier, but my Dad pointed me back in direction of pekings, and I think it would be nice to buy some crele pekings. Pekings are my final desicion on a broody.

I'm guessing that was a bigg miscommunication between how to handle "eating eggs" and fertile hatching eggs:( I usually keep them right on the counter and 7 days is the general expectation for fertility

Not a miscommunication it's what she does. But different fridges could have different temps so it might now work for us like for her.

Her fridge must be close to room temp. Hatching eggs should be kept between like 60 and 70ish degrees. The egg starts to develope before the hen even finishes laying it... When she does lay it, the embryo stops developing(only several cells big) and awaits incubation. When you chill the eggs that embryo is most times killed.

Back
Top Bottom