Sumatra Thread!

I have a question, how deep does the snow have to be before people up north bust out the snow shoes that look like tennis racquets? Is this type of snow shoe even still used these days? Thanks for any help on this.
If you want to go off the trails, you have to wear snowshoes after the snow is a foot deep or so. The trails get packed down so you can walk ok. We don't use the old wooden type, now they are made of aluminum with neoprene or plastic to stand on. They have metal spikes on the toes and heels to go up and down the hills. Hope that helps?

I have a question, how deep does the snow have to be before people up north bust out the snow shoes that look like tennis racquets? Is this type of snow shoe even still used these days? Thanks for any help on this.
We used snowshoes when we lived in Michigan. They are generally
used for deep snow areas. We had the wooden style you are talking
about. It takes a little getting use to them to walk much in them but
they did help to keep you on top of the snow.

I live in Ohio and we have about 2 feet on the ground here, but I have never seen anyone using snowshoes, LOL. I do have a pair of cleat-things that go over my shoes for walking on ice.

I have a question about the spurs on the sumatras. I know they
should have multiple spurs and it varies from bird to bird as to
how many the bird has but should they be trimmed for showing?
How often does the spur curling back into the leg occur or is that
just a rare/odd occurrence? Just curious.

I pull them every fall otherwise most of mine will grow right back into the leg eventually . I just do the bigger primary ones. They slip right off with a little wiggling. Just like pulling a tooth
Thanks Boggy. I have heard of using a potato to remove spurs
but don't know if that would work for multiple spurs. I have had a
roo with spurs to grow back towards the leg. I use a file to rasp it
away from the leg and I have a pedi paw to keep other roo's spurs
blunted. Do you know if that is okay to do for showing?

Back
Top Bottom