Sumatra Thread!

Today started out wet and COLD.......in the mid 30s cold.
Was a rude awakening after several days in the 70s for
highs and 50s for lows.
It's amazing how quickly a body
gets use to those warm temps.
I just hope it gets back to
some warm weather but not hot....at least not every day.
fl.gif
Yeah, tell my birds about it. On the first day of 70's they were panting
th.gif
, aint even close to the triple digits and not much humidity yet either.

The June and July shows are fairs in NJ, if you go on poultry show central it's a great website that lists almost all of the swaps and shows in each state. Valerie Miller runs the website she is very nice and very helpful. We see her and her daughter at the shows we go to.

The June and July shows are fairs in NJ, if you go on poultry show central it's a great website that lists almost all of the swaps and shows in each state. Valerie Miller runs the website she is very nice and very helpful. We see her and her daughter at the shows we go to.

Thanks for the web site heads-up. I did not know about it
but I will check it out.
smile.png

Hello all. Just posting to subscribe to the thread. We just got our first two sumatra chicks tonight. Too many posts for me to read through tonight. Any advice? When can I expect to know about gender? What Indications will I get with thisbreed? All advice appreciated.

Chicks are a week old and I will get some better pics this weekend.

I wing sexed my 1-2 day olds [I had gotten White faced Black Spanish Bantams and Sumatra Bantams] Ended up with 3 Roo's [and ended up being right] If that isn't accurate, you'll know at about 8-12 weeks when their faces develop more and a tiny comb starts to come up [just looks like a bump on the head]

I wing sexed my 1-2 day olds [I had gotten White faced Black Spanish Bantams and Sumatra Bantams] Ended up with 3 Roo's [and ended up being right] If that isn't accurate, you'll know at about 8-12 weeks when their faces develop more and a tiny comb starts to come up [just looks like a bump on the head]

How do you "wing sex" a sumatra?

Normally it is done as day olds only. With sumatras you can tell the sex of them at around 7 weeks, normally 8 weeks for me. Some people can tell earlier but that's when you see little sickle feathers growing in.
Okay, I'll be patient. I know some breeds have some tell tale signs earlier. It looks like they have very small combs anyway so I will just wait. I just lost my roo so I would be okay with having one male, I would hate it if they are both males.

Sneak attack pic early this morning.
big_smile.png

Okay, I'll be patient. I know some breeds have some tell tale signs earlier. It looks like they have very small combs anyway so I will just wait. I just lost my roo so I would be okay with having one male, I would hate it if they are both males. Sneak attack pic early this morning.:D
Don't worry time flies by and before you know it they will be all feathered :) Enjoy them! I'm sure someone on here could point you in the direction of a pullet/cockerel if need be later.

Back
Top Bottom