Sumatra Thread!

You could also sell them as breeders and use the money to buy a few table birds.

Sumatras are a fairly uncommon breed and they are also very popular. You could post an add in the for sale section of BYC and see who wants them.

Quote:
No mine are all black legged with yellow feet pads on all colors. The splash are this years chicks, still young, but so far still black legged too

I guess I should just keep the ones with the dark legs huh?

yep, that's not something you want to pass on. I know the blues are black legged for sure, mine are pictured on page 1 of this thread. Will have to get back to you on the splash when they mature, but so far black as well

Quote:
the light colored legs may have something to do with the fact that she is a white splash instead of a blue splash. The lighter varieties sometimes have the lighter leg color.

you got a good point right there, I saw a white sumatra in the internet and it was green legs dark eyes,face was red rooster was double spurs.

They are techinically an ornanmental fowl, but may be used as a dual purpose breed. Just because they are an ornamental breed doesn't mean they don't have meat on them or lay good eggs. Mine are good layers and have nice meaty breasts.

They are considered a dual purpose breed by many who raise them.

Many of the gamefowl breeds are dual purpose with a nice meaty breast and good eggs. It is simply the way they are bred.

The APA Standard of perfecting I have lists the birds as having good egg laying and a meaty breast, Dual Purpose.

Are your sumatras not meaty birds, cause they should have a nice full gamebird breast on them.

Last edited:
If anyone in the "4 State Area" is interested (KS, MO, OK, AR) I've got 2 superior pair of these guys for sale. Have about 38 chicks so need to diversify
wink.png
Will also trade eggs since they are laying up a storm.

Also...Good points on both veriations here...

Quote:
Technically, I guess 90% of all chickens are dual purpose by that description then. I would think eating a Sumatra would have to be like shoe leather though, being a gamebird bred originally for cock fights.
Could be wrong, but I'll never eat one of my bantams to see.

Back
Top Bottom