Sumatra Thread!

Pics
Quote:
yes they come in bantam, that's all I keep is bantam sized birds.

For colorful though, sumatras dont really come in colorful patterns. All pure sumatras so far are solid colored birds.

blacks are the norm, blue and splash are getting more available, dun and khaki are rare, and whites, especially in bantams are near impossible to find.
US wise, that's it for sumatra colors. All solid, just black ,blue, dun , splash, khakis and white. The good blues are laced, but that's it pattern wise.

Still very nice birds none the less. In bantam size, you'll be very hard pressed to find any outside black and blue though. I am working on bantam duns right now, still need 1-2 more years to have them where I want them.
Would love to find some bantam whites, duns and khakis myself to help along with these projects of mine.

Quote:
Good.

I'm excited to move forward with this project!
smile.png

one of my blue hens born this spring from my 1st broody of the year. I had 14 broody's this year. I find her quite beautiful.

DSCF1243-1.jpg

a couple more blues from broody's.

DSCF1239-1.jpg

2 more blues from broody's

DSCF1229-1.jpg

the blue hen who I call "mama" She went broody twice this year. Sammy, the head roo in the back is moulting heavily. He is dad to most of this years chicks. The black hens are also born from broody's this year.

DSCF1221-1.jpg

personally, I have never seen any of mine crow. Im sure they do in the morning, but I have close to 500 out there so it's hard to know if it's them, but while with them, no I have never seen them do it

mine crow a lot. The older roo's are quieter than the younger ones. The older roo's crow in the morning, then throuout the day as they find food for their girls etc. The young roo's never shut up.

Quote:
My only mature Sumatra roo is very vocal. His crow is significantly different than the Phoenix roosters, which are all nearly identical, so it's very easy to pick him out. Every morning the roosters all have crowing competitions where they stand outside in full view of each other and belt it out. I don't think he's any more or less vocal than the Phoenix, though.

Back
Top Bottom