Sumatra Thread!

Pics
Dun should show no lacing. Ideally dun is a nice even cocoa brown color. Sometimes it looks like a bleached out blue. When we bred our dun wyandottes we bred dun x dun and got good results. So far with sumatras we have only bred black x dun and the chicks come out slightly lighter than the mother, her neck is darker than the body but the cockerel is more even color.

Good to know.
smile.png

I plan on putting my Platinum cockerel over only Black hens when he is ready, I'm excited to see what hatches.

same here on my dun bantams. Only bred black to dun so far as they are still in development. But I personally have never seen a laced dun. I do have tons of them in phoenix and d'anver in various patterns. And yes like blue they will come in various shades, from little smokey grey up to deep chocolate some slate black. But lacing shouldnt be in them in sumatra

Quote:
Can you post some pictures of your Dun birds? Sumatras especially, but I would like to see how the color varies, so any breed would be appreciated.

dont have any of the sumatras yet, all them are chocolate so far but still early

here's some variations between the d'anvers

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

dun cuckoo

IMG_0069.jpg

both of these are dun even though one looks black, but look at his feathers, no shine

IMG_0047.jpg

dark chocolate

IMG_0054.jpg

dun quail

IMG_2619.jpg

Very interesting info on Sumatra and their colors.
We have Black Sumatra large Fowl.
One of the cockerels has a brown color in one side of wings when you pull them open. Been holding on to him to see if he molts it out or not. He has a really great shine to his feathers but with the brown he can not be shown at Poultry Shows.
Has anyone seen brown come out in a black Sumatra's wing feathers?

Heard there was a breeding season for Sumatras. Anyone know when it is?

How older pullets have not started laying and the other ones that laid a few months back are not laying either.

What can you tell me about them?

Quote:
I have some with brown on them. Some on their wings, some of their heads. These are boys born this year, so I don't know if it will go away or not. Personally I don't care as I don't and won't ever show my birds.

Breeding season??? lol, now that's funny. If the hens are laying, it is breeding season. My hens restarted their laying in mid February this year, when it was 15 and 30 inches of snow. I have had broody's from March 3rd until right now. A broody just hatched chicks, the boys are still mounting anything that moves. At least my Sumatra's don't have a breeding season.

Back
Top Bottom