Sumatra

haha, 30 years and counting.

bone structure, and over all conformity of the body is not Sumatra ish. Feather type looks off too, Beak color is off, legs look green ish too in some pics. speaking of that...haha bet it'll end up being an EE. Looks to have a very weak beard coming in, in the last pics too..Hatcherys love EE'S cause they are just mutt chickens if you will, as long as they lay green eggs and have green legs it's classed as such.

Boise Chik,
go to the primary Sumatra page, it's 250+ pages long, theres plenty of pics there to compare it to

Last edited:
Hmmm an EE crossed with an Australop maybe? Haha how funny. I went out and picked the chicken up and its legs do have a slight greenish cast. The little white fluff under its chin is mostly gone now and replaced by black. I don't see much as far as a beard, but who knows. I actually love EEs, so that would be great to have another green egg layer. The chicken in my Avatar picture is "Agnes", our 14 week old EE pullet. We had one EE turn out to be a rooster and have to be rehomed, and another one die unexpectadly, so another EE would be great. Are EEs ever pure black like that? This chick has a lot if irridescent feathers on its wings too.

Another question, BBB. Any thoughts on why she is so small? That's the reason I put her pic on here in the first place. I started a thread asking if my Australop could be a runt, and the responses were all to the effect that it's not a runt, its a Sumatra. She's literally about half the size and twice as brave/spunky as the other 8 week old chicks; a BO, a SLW, a Black SL, and two Light Brahmas.

the white patch I bet is what was making the pics look slightly bearded.

if the legs in fact are greenish in person, then you can pretty much certainly rule out Sumatra. Many people on here are like parrots, once one person says something they'll just repeat it, so you have to watch who you actually listen too some times haha.

Size wise on the chick, man there's no telling. That's hatchery stock for you.

I got in a bunch of old English game bantams several years back that I was gone use for color projects. None turned out anywhere close to the colors they were meant to be, and instead of tiny old English, they were 3 and 4 pound monsters.

That's just the nature of hatchery stock in general. They really don't adhere to any standard. Production is all they focus on.

It could be a runt, could be a bantam ee cross, could be this or that.
As it matures some you'll be able to tell more about it, and maybe narrow down exactly what all it has in it. She looks nice and healthy though, and from the thickness that those legs look to be, she may well grow into a big bird too once it's all over.

Keep us posted , I'd like to see her as she matures. and yes, there are solid black EE's too, thought they usually have a little color in the hackles on the males from various color genes in the mix, but hens seldom leak any color from the same matings.

My little mystery chick is almost 12 weeks now. The body is still tiny and the tail is getting looooong. There is a lot of irridescent feathers, especially green in the tail and blue/green on the body. There is also a slight ring of bright orange feathers around the neck now. I'm thinking this may actually be some kind of little bantam rooster. Heard some suspicious crowing-like sounds recently. We'll see. I included some pics with a BO of the same age, for size comparison.

Back
Top Bottom