summer egg laying??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by greathorse, Jul 28, 2010.

1. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I have 2 female Dewlap toulouse and two ganders. Both females layed a clutch of eggs this spring and between the dog eating them and the fact that they did not seem fertile non hatched although both sat for quite a while.

I just found my dog carrying a goose egg around. I took it away and have not opened it as I am a bit fearful it might be one from this spring that she found somewhere.

The question is whether or not they can or will lay again after stopping completely for at least 8 weeks. They are fully feathered again and looking pretty good after getting pretty rough looking when they were on the eggs.

Thanks

2. Chickies-duckies-etc

Chickies-duckies-etc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2008
    Kansas
    To know if it is from the spring, candle it. If it is old the air cell will be large and the contents may be dark. If it fresh the air cell will be small and the contents will look like a fresh egg. The bigger the air cell the older the egg. Usually. Also, if it has been laying outside for a few months, it should look rather weathered and dirty.

You can also float an egg in water to tell its age. The fresh ones will stay at the bottom, and the older ones will float because of the size of the air cell.

3. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Good idea thanks anyone know if geese will lay again same year after they have quit

It did float I am now assuming the dog found it from a spring laying some where. It was actually quite clean and looked pretty good. I am not going to break it inside the house that is for sure.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Goose laying season is over. You will not likely get any more eggs until next spring. They generally stop laying about June.

5. marathonmultiplesmom

marathonmultiplesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Chehalis, WA
    I have heard stories of geese laying at odd times. Nothing is impossible.

6. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    One of my 4 females laid a clutch last fall. I was super shocked because she made her nest under one of our decks and I wasn't expecting any laying happen that time of year. I kept wondering what she kept doing under the deck. When I finally checked it out there were 9 eggs in her nest.

7. greathorse

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Thanks that is good to know I know it is supposedly mostly spring. I am now quite certain that this one egg was a found spring egg as it did float when I tested it. I was surprised at how good it looked when the dog brought it to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by