Summer molting?

CHISPA

Chirping
Jan 10, 2021
Greeting everyone. My chickens appear to be molting. This seems very unusual for late spring-early summer. We are having a bad heatwave (102-106). Normally it is high 80s mid-90s. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Please let me know and all suggestions are appreciated.

Greeting everyone. My chickens appear to be molting. This seems very unusual for late spring-early summer. We are having a bad heatwave (102-106). Normally it is high 80s mid-90s. Is anyone else experiencing the same problem? Please let me know and all suggestions are appreciated.
Lucky them for escaping the heat! They don’t make themselves molt, it just happens. We have one doing it now, and she seems to be doing good. I’m pretty sure it’s not some sort of sickness.

Lucky them for escaping the heat! They don’t make themselves molt, it just happens. We have one doing it now, and she seems to be doing good. I’m pretty sure it’s not some sort of sickness.
Thank you Blue Raptor. My chiquiadas seem happy and healthy other than molting. Yes, if I had that many feathers I would like to lose them in the heat!

Thank you Blue Raptor. My chiquiadas seem happy and healthy other than molting. Yes, if I had that many feathers I would like to lose them in the heat!
How old are they?
Can you please post some photos?
Are you in the US?

One of my ducks and one of my hens (both are 22 months old) seem to be going through a molt right now too. I was worried but I recently read another post talking about this same thing. I'll wait to see what the experts say. Other than dropping some beautiful and perfect feathers, both of my girls seem to be OK. The feathers look like they've come out naturally since they're intact and blood/skin free. Both have slacked off laying as well. Following this closely

How old are they?
Can you please post some photos?
Are you in the US?
Hello Wyrop Rock. Yes I am in the USA on the west coast side. I am attaching pictures of the whole flock and of the chichiada with the most molting. Picture didn't capture the molting as well as I was hoping. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20210619_065655.jpg
    20210619_065655.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210619_065450.jpg
    20210619_065450.jpg
    936.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20210619_065153.jpg
    20210619_065153.jpg
    990.4 KB · Views: 33
Hello Wyrop Rock. Yes I am in the USA on the west coast side. I am attaching pictures of the whole flock and of the chichiada with the most molting. Picture didn't capture the molting as well as I was hoping. Any thoughts?
Do you have a rooster?

If not, that's ok, I would say whoever is roosting beside her is nibbling her feathers. Feathers are intact, just broken/worn/nipped. She's not molting yet.

If you have others that look like that, it would be a good idea to check them over for lice/mites too, but that's feather nibbling.

Do you have a rooster?

If not, that's ok, I would say whoever is roosting beside her is nibbling her feathers. Feathers are intact, just broken/worn/nipped. She's not molting yet.

If you have others that look like that, it would be a good idea to check them over for lice/mites too, but that's feather nibbling.
So if the feathers are being dropped as complete, undamaged feathers, without any blood/veins, molting is likely (but not definitely, of course) the cause? Hearing your thoughts always helps me so much.
Edited to add: As you know, here in NC, our Temps have been all over the place, but our days are long. I'm not sure what else could be causing it but I certainly don't want to dismiss it if you don't feel like I should.

I'm on the west coast as well -- southern ca -- & we just rode out a 101 degree heat wave that lasted several days. Your thread made me wonder about my girls too -- it seems like they all started going through their first molt a couple of months ago (on schedule -- they are about 18 months old). several lost feathers and now have new, healthy ones growing in, but i have one hen that has a completely bare bottom & seems to be taking forever to grow her feathers in! They all have slacked off a bit on their laying, but I'm still getting plenty of eggs. No pest problems that I can see, although I did find a cluster of nits a few weeks ago & removed them with coconut/oregano oil -- haven't ever seen a live lice on anybody & I did a lot of inspecting. They are happy, completely spoiled girls (and boys!) that free-range on about half an acre. Wondering if there's something else going on here? Do they just all molt at different paces? Should I inspect them more thoroughly? It's my first time observing my flock molt, so I'm not exactly sure what to expect...

Back
Top Bottom