Suncast shed & homemade run

Nice Job!
Agrees, windows(top hinged) and vents as soon as possible.
I read the article on ventilation in your signature, but I'm a bit confused. It talked about having ventilation in cold climates, but then needing the ability to close the vents when it's really cold. Would a window that opens suffice (with hardware cloth, etc)? The shed has some built in ventilation at the top, granted it's not much. It's just not hot here for very long, and cold is much more of an issue. I was in their coop at "bedtime" and this morning, and it was very comfortable. The middle of the day is another story, but they were in their run at that time. Just looking for advice, as my poor hubby works very long days, travels, etc, and he has spent the majority of his weekends lately building this for me. I'd like to make any other adjustments fairly quick and painless.

Ventilation can be confusing.
You need air movement to get the moist ammonia laden air out of coop all year around but no strong drafts, especially on the roosting area in winter.
In summer you might even use a fan to blow out accumulated heat and replace with cooler air. I have a fan in window on the shady side of the coop and a thermometer to monitor the temps inside.
Here's a pretty good discussion:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1048597/ventilated-but-free-of-drafts

I love this! This will be my next coop if I outlive my 24 year old 8 by 8 coop! I don't need more than 4-6 chickens, so this would be plenty large. Right now I have 13 pullets & soon will be over run with eggs. This way my DH won't ever have to build another coop from scratch! Great job!

Went out to visit with the girls. I think they miss following me around while they're in "coop training."

Attachments

• IMG_1027.JPG
    IMG_1027.JPG
    839.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1028.JPG
    IMG_1028.JPG
    498 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1029.JPG
    IMG_1029.JPG
    609.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    521.6 KB · Views: 42
I love this. Thank you for sharing. I will start my flock of 5(ish) this coming winter/spring. So we're drawing up plans now for a coop. I have been vacillating between a resin shed retrofit and a solid wood shed-type coop (6x6 or 6x8). No matter how I cost out the materials for a good, wood structure, I couldn't come up with less than a resin shed retrofit. Even if I could get the windows and door at a Habitat Homestore or used on Craigslist! I think you've convinced me to go resin! Your run looks great too. Thanks again for sharing!

THAT LOOKS FAB !!!
I am having a hard time leveling my spot :( so I have not done the shed yet. Plus we had torrential rain and then it was too hot to work in the sun.

What did you do for the Ventilation? I am thinking of the fan in the window too.

Also, Can you post pics on the Pop Door and how you did it ? This is the one thing I am still trying to figure out.

Today I am watching the sun rise and see which spot gets the shade faster in the back yard.

p.s. forgot to say your Collie is so cute ! We had 2 Collies growing up, GREAT DOGS !

THAT LOOKS FAB !!!
I am having a hard time leveling my spot :( so I have not done the shed yet. Plus we had torrential rain and then it was too hot to work in the sun.

What did you do for the Ventilation? I am thinking of the fan in the window too.

Also, Can you post pics on the Pop Door and how you did it ? This is the one thing I am still trying to figure out.

Today I am watching the sun rise and see which spot gets the shade faster in the back yard.

p.s. forgot to say your Collie is so cute ! We had 2 Collies growing up, GREAT DOGS !

I will try to take some pics of the pop door tomorrow. We are working on adding vents, though the coop stays really fairly cool in the shade of the fir trees.
Our collie is the first pet my husband I got together, and he's 11.5 now. He's been a fabulous dog :)

Back
Top Bottom