Sunday brunch for the chickens

SC_Hugh

Songster
10 Years
May 23, 2009
Santa Cruz, CA
I made a quick and easy Sunday brunch for my little flock this morning
smile.png
I have been getting 1-2 eggs a day from my 3 pullets for the past week, so I thought that I should treat them to a special Sunday brunch. Before last week, I was only getting 1 egg a day or less.

Today's brunch:

Main course: Spinach and 3-cheese omelet

Side dish: Yogurt with Special K cereal and rolled oats

Daily offerings: Layer pellets, layer crumbles, flax seed, rolled oats and a little scratch along with bottomless water refills.

--Hugh

"Spinach has a high nutritional value and is extremely rich in antioxidants, especially when fresh, steamed, or quickly boiled. It is a rich source of vitamin A (and lutein), vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, magnesium, manganese, folate, iron, vitamin B2, calcium, potassium, vitamin B6, folic acid, copper, protein, phosphorus, zinc, niacin, selenium and omega-3 fatty acids. Recently, opioid peptides called rubiscolins have also been found in spinach".

On my way...I'll have the 3 cheese omelette and spinach salad please, I'll skip the 'daily offerings'....
big_smile.png
Mine had fresh baby spinach for greens today and some reheated organic whole wheat spaghetti...I just stood in the coop laughing as they 'chased' the pasta and each other....'look ma, funky worms'.
lau.gif
But they were good, they ate all the green stuff too!!
D.gif

I just got around to making myself a spinach, turkey and cheese omelet after doing some yard work
big_smile.png
Extra eggs will never go to waste in this household. I bet our dogs would love some omelets too, too bad there isn't a surplus of eggs during the winter months.

There was nothing left of the omelet
droolin.gif
but they didn't touch the yogurt/cereal mixture
hu.gif
, oh well plain yogurt on another day.

Daily, I have been feeding them a tiny handful of flax seed and their yolks are so golden they almost glow in the dark
ep.gif

--Hugh

Quote:
Come on over you two!

The organic whole wheat spaghetti sounds like a great treat and very entertaining to watch
pop.gif
I like it when they start flicking food all over the place and it lands on their heads and backs and then they start eating off each other too
gig.gif

I have to watch Chicken TV in my backyard because I don't have any actual TV channels to watch (since 1994).

--Hugh

Only Chicken TV here too...
wink.png
We do watch DVD's though.

Our girls had some nice treats tonight. Salmon scraps from making salmon patties, sprouts and popcorn for desert.. Best part for us is before and after they eat their treats. Some fly up on our laps or shoulders others sit next too you begging for the treat. Afterwords they come hang out in our laps for some petting. (And of course looking for more treats.)

Good family entertainment around here.

ON

Back
Top Bottom