1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sunflower seeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by davekrista, Oct 12, 2010.

1. davekrista

davekrista Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Uxbridge, MA
    can my chickens have the shells from sunflower seeds?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    As long as they are not salted and they are getting grit. Their system does not handle excess salt very well. I don't know that they will get many nutrients out of them, but it won't hurt them in any way that I am aware of.

3. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (aka BOSS) have 15% protein. I feed BOSS for nice, shiny feathers.

4. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The OP said sunflower seed shells, not seeds. Totally different. I agree BOSS is pretty good stuff.

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    When I throw the leftover seed out from feeding my caged birds, the chickens go crazy over the seeds. They eat everything, seed, shell, pellets, etc. and have not had any problems. I also feed them black oil sunflower seeds and they gobble them, seed and shell.

6. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I assumed the OP was concerned whether the birds could handle the shells "on" the seeds. Sorry.

7. Ridgerunner

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Boo-Boo's Mama :

Quote:I assumed the OP was concerned whether the birds could handle the shells "on" the seeds. Sorry.

Your interpretation of the question could certainly be correct and mine wrong. I spoke too quickly. Sorry.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by