Super embarrassing question

SuperDuck

Songster
Mar 28, 2018
Los Banos, Ca
Chuck and Buck are almost 18 week old Pekins. Their daddy, my 11 year old son, is the light of their lives. They sleep with him. Unfortunately they have discovered mating. Even bigger unfortunately.... they want to mate with my son :(

Shush. Stop laughing. Ok, you can laugh just a little.

Normally there is no bedtime issues but the last week or so they crawl up on him, grab a hold, and start.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, tell me that it's a phase/seasonal thing and they eventually will stop wanting to do the "Dirty Birdie"

And I can honestly say I never in a million years thought of this question when we spent all that time contemplating getting the boy his very own ducks.

It's not a phase. They've imprinted on him it sounds like, and now they're old enough to want to mate and they're going to. They seem him as a good target for it. They might even get aggressive about it, biting etc. They have no females to take their hormones out on, so they're going to take them out on each other and the humans they have imprinted on.

And for more bad news, domestic production breeds like pekins don't really have a mating season. Since we wanted them to lay more eggs, and they only lay eggs when their hormones tell them to, which is during the mating season, we bred them to have longer and longer 'seasons' and now it's pretty much all year long. They might stop in the winter if they aren't getting enough light to trigger their hormones but being that it sounds like they live inside, they're probably still going to be getting enough light to keep them in breeding mode.

So the only thing to do is make it so the situations in which they try to mate with him don't arise. Meaning no sleeping with them. Even better would be to get them some appropriate mates of their own kind, preferably two to three girls for each drake.

Last edited:
Thanks! They're good about stopping once he moves them, they'll lay down and go to sleep. Guess it's a good reason to get them back in their crate at night!

Darn birds.

I'd love to add more ducks to what we have but we can't. We already aren't zoned for them and animal control has already told us to get rid of the two we have (I won't) If I added more, feathers would hit the fan.

Getting them some girls would be the best solution, but if that doesn’t work, oh well.

Second, they won’t try to mate him unless he lets them. He can carry a broom or something and shove them away every time they try. Eventually, they should realize that it’s just not gonna work.

I have noticed that young males go crazy and then slow down as they mature, so it could lessen as they get older, but it won’t stop unless you make it stop.

if you keep the drakes in the dark..it called dark neutering.. they would have to be in the dark in the day time to though and it takes a while for there homones to drop down where they wont want to do that..

Back
Top Bottom