Super Friendly Leghorns-They do exist!! *PIC*

Sparrow.. Vera sounds like these two.. They are petite!

I sure hope that they are girls.. I plan to work a lot with them.
This is the 2nd week we have owned them.

^^I wouldn't worry about them being boys at all. Vera had a comb just like your girls until just a couple of weeks ago, and it was big and red and cute overnight! I hope it gets big enough to flop over, it looks like a retro hat to me.
big_smile.png

It sounds like we both have petite Leghorns, then. They are sooo light when you pick them up! They sure are cute, though.
smile.png

My method for working with skittish chickens is to be very "Zen" with them. Birds tend to react nicely to your emotions, so it can really help soothe a scared or nervous bird. It may take them a while, but PurpleChicken is right, Leghorns are smart. They will come around once they realize you are their friend.

"Zen" huh? what exactly does that mean?

I talk sweet to them when I go to catch them or any time that I am around the crate. They're in a dog crate, so I do not have to chase them, just catch them. Once I have them, they are mellow and I can hold them loosely.

I guess Zen as it applies to chickens means staying intentionally verrrry calm and being kind of slow around them. Especially when they spaz out or start behaving strangely, just stay very calm and relaxed. Sometimes, just being that way near them w/o touching them helps too.

Also, if I am handling them in an enclosed area where they cannot escape, if they get scared and fly away,I just let them go. I don't grabfor them or pick them up immediately. I let them land and realize they are safe back on the ground for a moment before I gpo pick them up again. It helps to reduce the stress of them thinking you are "after" them when they are panicking already.

Make a point of handling them every day and they will learn. When you are feeling so calm, they feel it through your body language when you are holding them, and it will start putting their minds at ease.

I know it probably sounds silly, but it really seems to work for the nervous ones.
smile.png

Last edited:
Sparrow.. I dont think it sounds funny... and that is the approach that I planned and have started. Sounds like I may be on the right track! thanks!

Back
Top Bottom