Super newbie

Im so confused because the thermometer say 94.5 and the digital say 101. Currently saying 35% humidity. It has been on for 2 hours

Since you are a newbie, whenever you have a doubt or not sure. Here is the best place to ask and get informed.

A month ago i was in your shoes but there were alot of nice users here to help me out. Youtube is also a good way to see alot of ways.

Here was my 1st candling. Today i would of done it diferently. But hey. Live and learn.

Im so confused because the thermometer say 94.5 and the digital say 101. Currently saying 35% humidity. It has been on for 2 hours
If you have a glass thermometer, get a glass half fill it with ice then add cold water. Give it a couple minutes to come to temp. Put the glass thermometer in the cup. It should read out at 32F. If it does you know it's accurate, if not make a note how far off it is and add or subtract that to future readings. No you have a thermometer to go by. Use that thermometer to check against others to determine their accuracy.

As for hygrometer there is the salt test: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/cigar-101/article/29/salt-test

Last edited:
I am doing the test on the thermometer now- The incubator reads 102 but when I open it...it feels warm but not hot Should I hurry and return it? The fact that it was missing a candler makes me wonder if it was returned. My eggs should get here around 1 pacific standard time.

So it went completely down to the glass ball which I assume is 32F. The humidity hasn't moved- I filled the water wells. I need to go buy the thing to gauge that. Should I just return the whole thing? Does it need to be on a full day to settle? The water was just put in it this morning and has raised roughly 10 degrees in humidity

Last edited:
IMO, you should have it running at temp for a full 24 hours before putting eggs in. If you have not read "hatching eggs 101" please do. It will tell you how to calibrate a thermometer. "Going down to the ball" tells you nothing. I like to calibrate my thermometers (the ones that can be immersed in liquid) in a cup of water with a known accurate medical thermometer. They're guaranteed to be accurate to +/- .2 degrees. I place that in a cup of water that's about 100*, and add my thermometers that I'm checking.

Back
Top Bottom