super turkey hen

debbyvenus

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 22, 2012
I am new to turkeys. Last spring I received 5 royal palm turkeys as poults. 4 turned out to be toms and 1 hen. my hen "sweet pea" started laying her first eggs on valentines day this year. She has laid 9 eggs so far and two days ago laid 2 eggs in one sitting! I have never heard of a chicken or turkey lay 2 in one day. she does not seem to be broody yet but I am hoping soon. I seperated her from all but 1 nice tom. hope they mate and she gets broody! Has anyone heard of a hen laying like that?

I can't say about turkeys, but I once had a White Leghorn hen that laid an egg every morning, and a second egg every other evening, for most of the first 2 years of her life. I do know that the egg laying apparatus can be a bit "wonky" when a bird first starts laying, and it can take a while for things to settle down to a normal pattern.

Royal Palms are gorgeous. Good luck with your birds!

I had a neighbor, who was also my friend, who like me raised chickens, and at the time only had 3 hens. Well, she always bragged that her hens laid an egg almost every day. To play a joke on her, and have her brag even more, one day I put an extra 3 eggs from my hens into her hen's nests, beside her three. Well the joke was on me, because she knew better. The Guinness Book of World records is held by a Black Australoup, who laid 364 eggs in 365 consecutive days, so if you have a chicken or turkey hen that can lay 2 eggs in the same day, let the Record people know!!!
ep.gif
LOL

I don't know about any records but she may be a good hen to let go broody. I'm really hoping she decides to raise some herself! I've had chickens that laid a few double yolkers when they were just getting going. But never two eggs in one sitting! I wonder how long they lay before they decide to sit.
I've been taking her eggs everyday, but wonder if I should just let them stay there? I also have a fake egg to keep her laying in the nest. She seems to have that part down now and lays in the nest box.

If she missed a day and you got 2 the next day, she might have hid the egg, so you didn't see it. Mine are good at trying to hide their eggs and will even bury them. Turkey hens go broody at the drop of the hat, if you let them keep their eggs! Good luck and when you get the chance, post pictures, please?

Well, my little turkey hen did not hatch her first batch. Not that she didn't try. So she tried again in summer and she sat and she sat for 34 days. I had to take her off the next every day so she would eat and poo, she was determined. One day (the 34th) I went out to check on her and there was a terrible smell and she was standing up trying to clean herself. One of the eggs exploded!! I took all the eggs and poured them in the woods and one more exploded. I guess they were all rotten. Probably not fertile. I had her with one tom at a time to make sure she was mated. I guess I will have to try again next spring. Maybe by then she/they will have figured out the mating thing. Poor girl, she just wondered around crying so I hung out with her to help her get her mind off of things and she dust bathed and scratched around and finally the next day she was feeling better. She will be a great mom someday! I am sure of it!

Back
Top Bottom